New Fish and I have a problem?!

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

I added a new fish into my tank yesterday. Of course he got picked on a little by the pervious fish in the tank. But now today he only stays at the very top of the water line. He is swimming near a powerhead and swimming against the current. There are no signs of ich, but does this sound like another problem with him? He hasn't eaten yet either but I did not expect him to eat. All of the water conditions are good, so I don't think that is a problem. Any ideas of why he is just staying at the top? It is a sohal tang, so I would think he would be swimming everywhere by now.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

what is the new one and how big and what are the occupants of the tank and how big - - -how big is the tank?

Boss

littlej2455

by littlej2455

The new fish is a sohal tang. He is about 5 inches long. He is the last fish I was going to add, thinking that he would be the most dominate fish in the tank, but it doesn't seem like that at all. I have a 125 gallon. The other fish are: six bar angel (4 in), foxface lo(4.5 in), blonde naso tang(5 in), purple tang (2 in), blue tang (5 in), porcupine puffer (5.5 in), and a niger trigger (4.5 in). The niger trigger right now is being the most aggressive towards the sohal tang. He is defiantly nipping at the sohal tang's dorsal fin. I don't know how to stop this, I tried to add some food in the tank to try and distract the fish from the sohal (who still hasn't eaten) and that has worked but it only last for a couple of minutes.

snowboss

by snowboss

well - -the trigger would be my guess as to the most violent one and you just cemented my thoughts on that...............one can only hope and pray that he stops or seperate them some how, maybe a tank divider for a few days? those are all pretty good sized fish to be losing any of them

good luck,

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I think the boss is right. I had a nigger and he was a FUCK to be polite. They say they eat corals - NEVER - he was to busy trying to eat fish. He met his match with my FOX FACE he spiked him, 2 days later DEAD. That will teach him. Saw it all while we were eating tea, ENOUGHS ENOUGH. He also at two of my three cardinals that I once bought, all in about 30 seconds. He was lucky to be a 2 inch fish, but was like a GREAT WHITE.
GET RID OF THE NIGGER SOME WHERE FOR A WHILE AND SEE IF THINGS CHANGE

littlej2455

by littlej2455

They stopped picking on him finally. He just stays in one spot not at the top and now if any fish gets close to him he will kind of defend his territory. He doesn't swim too much, but my guess is that he is too stressed right now. That is also my guess to why he hasn't eaten yet. I have tried to provide him mysis shrimp, vegetable pellets, seaweed, lettuce, and silver sides. Any ideas?

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Just to give yall an update...

He still has not eaten yet, but he is starting to swim around more which is good. None of the fish are picking on him either so I hope tonight he will eat. I was told that he was going to eat the meaty food first so I am going to put some garlic in with the mysis shrimp and see if that will do the trick.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

I just took a good look at my sohal tang and I dont think he is doing too well. I looked closely at him and he has white hair-like objects coming out from his fins and his side. I know that ich is usually in the form of spots, but can it also be in a web like form? I need to know ASAP so please help.

snowboss

by snowboss

sounds like stress.........fish have a "coating" on them - - -kinda like a lubricant, if he has had his ass kicked around for a few days he could definatley be stressed into sickness...........i would strongly suggest quarentineing him for a few weeks, if you dont have a set up can you ask your LFS to baby sit for a while? Cows get a similar disease called shipping sickness, from bouncing around in trailers and trucks..............they get out, hop around all happy eat and play for a day or two and bam their dead in the morning.............all caused from stress

don't mean to be such a downer but that is the animal kingdom, good thing is that most are pretty resiliant, he just needs some quiet time, him swimming around could be simply him in a daise or giving up and the others know he's not compition anymore ..................fire up a cheap wally world 5 or 1o gallon with water from your tank real quick and see what happens

good luck bud

Boss

littlej2455

by littlej2455

He is swimming around more now with no more of the bacteria on him. I tried to see if he would eat some live algae and no luck. Have a quarantine tank but it is only a 10 gallon tank and the fish is easily 5-5.5 inches. Would that stress him out even more being in such a small tank?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2