For cleaning big rocks and wood

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Just thought I would pass on a little tidbit I read today in a fish magazine. I have never done this myself but it seems like a really good idea!

It said, if the rock or wood is too big to boil in a pan, to run it thru the dishwasher on the hot cycle. The question was about how to get wood to sink, but you could also do this with rocks to kill the stuff on them. I bet this would work better than putting it in the tub and pouring boiling water over it.

"Boiling driftwood will help to open the pores in the wood so it becomes waterlogged more quickly. If a piece is too large to boil on the stove, you can run it through the dishwasher on the hot cycle - without using detergent of course! These techniques will also help remove tannins from the wood, which can discolor your water."

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

My dishwasher is such an old piece of junk that it barely washes dishes...and theres a hole somewhere in bottom that leaks water lol. its PERFECT for driftwood! Neat thought. I'd probably run it through a few times if its a large piece of wood.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I just bought a really big piece of driftwood at my lfs. My mom mailed me a box of driftwood she had picked up, but when it got here they are all small pieces. I had told her what size I wanted, about 12-16" long, maybe 4-6" wide. She says "you don't need any big ones" Sheez! I want to fill one corner with a large piece so it will look like a tree trunk coming down and a 6" x 2" piece does not cut it. So, ended up spending $15 on a big chunk anyways. I would have gotten it way sooner if I knew she was sending small pieces. *sigh*

Anyhoooo....... I got a big piece today and after I sand it some am going to try the dishwasher thing. When you live in an apartment, you don't have much options, like a hose and bucket in the back yard. Such a pain-in-the-butt sometimes! I hope the hot water takes most of the tanis out. Its not Mopani Driftwood but a reddish piece that is kind of rough. I forgot what kind they told me it is. So hopefully there is not as much tanis as the Mopani has.

I will report back how well the washer works out :-)

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

The dishwasher concept is a good idea...

We got some huge pieces of driftwood out of a dam near here, for our 210g malawi tank. The only way we could clean them was using a high pressure cleaner out on the back lawn.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I soaked my big chunk for a bit in the sink, pouring boiling water over it. It turned the water a tan color. So I put it in the dishwasher and ran it thru a cycle. No more tannis! I was able to put it right in the tank. If there is any tannis left its a very small amount. The pressure from the water in the dishwasher also knocked all the loose pieces off the wood too.

This is not the Mopani wood that does turn the water brown, so not sure if it would work as well on that kind.

5 posts