new need help

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

reeftank

new need help

by reeftank

im wordering if i need to move my live rock when i do water changes? the guy at the store said to move it but how do you do that if you have corals, which i'm planing on geting

tangerine

by tangerine

no you do not need to move your live rocks when you do water changes. any reasons given by the guy at the store as to why you need to move them?

reeftank

by reeftank

yah he said that because nitrats where high or something like that. im new to this so i'm trying to learn as much as i can. the guy also said that nitrats build up under the live rock.

thanks for your help

tangerine

by tangerine

nitrates generally arise from overstocking,over feedind ,inadequate skimming and from ill maintained mechanical filter media like bio balls and bio rings.

flows in yr tank will also help by not having any "dead" spots where detritus will settle and accumulate.

live rocks are very good filtration medias as it is capable of processing and completing the nitrogen cycle.

reeftank

by reeftank

thanks for the help, the problem might be because i do not have good water flow. the tank is an oceanic bio-cube 14g, the pump 136 gph, but it seems just to make a slow moving whirlpool in my tank. do you know of any small devices that help with water movement?

sporty99

by sporty99

add a power head

RyanIrvine877

New to Salt, long time Fresh

by RyanIrvine877

WOW i've never done salt water but i've read about 5 books on start up and all the components. Certain fish behavior ect. But That was buy far the funniest thing i've ever read in a fish forum.

new need help

7 posts