Broken Sump

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

Broken Sump

by gdeeber

I have a 20 gallon long tank which is divided up into three sections. The first is my refugium with a deep sand bed and live rock with micro algae and the middle is for my skimmer and phosban reactor and the last section is my return pump. This past weekend I cleaned my sump and the divider between my refugium and the skimmer has broke loose and I will have to fix it. My question is how I should go about doing it. I know if I empty the sump and remove the sand and rocks I will be releasing all the bad thing in my sand bed. If I take this method I am almost sure to have an algae bloom shortly after replacing the sump. Does anyone have any suggestions?

newbie916

by newbie916

Hmmm... Maybe try fixing it with some reef glue and glue it while it's still setup.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

can you get a sort of adjustable plastic bar, make it from pvc and some threaded bits, put it in between a secure section and the busted section and tighten up from both sides to secure panel.
Will draw a pic and post what i mean.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Puffed:

I did a make shift repair like you are talking about. I used two peaces of plexiglass and wedged them between the refugium wall that is falling and one of the bubble trap walls which is fine. The problem is I can't use silicone for the repair because it says use on a dry surface. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can use inplace of silicone?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

aqaumend from home depot.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

yeah aquamend by shellys, its like a 2 part putty and can be used on wet surfaces or even under water. Its marine safe. Whats left over you could use to secure corals to rock work.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks guys. I will try it.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

keep us updated.

Broken Sump

8 posts