Egg sacks??

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

Egg sacks??

by TigerTaylor8906

My ten gallon tropical planted tank has one dwarf gourami, neon tetras, a few ghost shrimp and a handful of free snails courtesy of my lfs. Snails are small brown/black mostly round shell. I have noticed a few clear sacks on my plants and on larger rocks. Each sack seems to have 10-15 white "dots" in them. Are these egg sacks of some kind, the snails or shrimp?? Thanks

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

sounds like shrimp eggs. I think Shrimp would lay their eggs on the ground to drop down between the small rocks. Same with Neon Tetras, but not sure about Gourami, but since you have only one then its most likely snails.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

I did find some down in the gravel as well. So whats your guess, shrimp or snails?! Man, I hope its not snails.......

volcom

by volcom

if you have olive nerite snails. it wont be them unless you have a bracksih tnak. they need salt to "reproduce" :P

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if you have harlequin rasboras, they lay water-like sacs (I have a crap load of them on the underside of the rcks, but before they hatch, so to speak, the african dwarf frogs eat them).

the free snails are probably not olive nerite because olive nerite are expensive, so they are probably regular trumpet snails or what have you, and so yes, they are snails. Go purchase some Dwarf Loaches, they love baby snails and do not grow more than 3" (I have 4 of these guys and my trumpet snail population stays under 10 adults and just around 20 babies every week until eaten by the loaches).

If you add the right amount of species, you will find you can strike an excellent balance in the tank.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I bet they are snail eggs. Like Yash said, if they are small and brown they will take over the tank. I would get the eggs out if you can.

I am not sure about this, but I "think" shrimp will carry their eggs on the underside of their bodies. I have read that on a couple profiles, but not sure which ones do. I am pretty sure its the ghost shrimps who do because that is the only kind I have had.

Gourami's will make a bubble nest at the top of the water, so its not that. Neon's will do a roll and scatter the eggs in plants, so I doubt its theirs. Their eggs are not sticky.

My bet its snails and if you let them hatch they will take over your tank in the thousands.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree 100% dizzcat.

Unless you get Dwarf Loaches to feed off the snails, you will find your tank turning into a snail tank. Because the snails will bury themselves in the gravel, breed breed breed - and trumpet snails - which I have, but they're population is kept way down by the Dwarf Loaches I have, which by the way, can be expernsive, I thn the cheapest online is at Dr Fosters & Smith at $10.00 a pop - trumpet snail females do not need to breed with another snail, these snails breed on their own - the beauty of nature, ahhhh...of course in this case, nnnnaaaaaaaaahhhhh...anyway, get Dwarf Loaches or like dizzcat said, get them out of your tank the best you can.

By the way, there are snail tank solution remover, liquid you place in the tank, but you must watch out, because the iron and copper in the formula will kill all your invertebrates and some fish are allergic to it.

Best bet, Dwarf Loaches, which by the way, are great fish. No more than 3", and if you purchase 4 or more (4 is the best minumum you want to start with), you'll find the snails just disappear overnight, for these loaches feed at night.

The official description for these loaches is, Dwarf Chain Loach. Great little guys. And even beter, they can live up to 8-12 years.

Hope this helps

Egg sacks??

7 posts