driftwood

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

LUVMUFF9326

driftwood

by LUVMUFF9326

i bought a $30 dollar chunk of driftwood from a petstore.no where did they , or the wood say to soak it b4 putting in tank,so my water turned brown.now its been a month of soaking drift wood in a cooler changing water daily.still turns the water a tea color...any suggestions to hurry the process,,or has any body else had this problem? n i cant boil the wood bcuz i dont have a pan big enough,the wood dont even fit in a 5 gallon bucket

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Its perfectly normal for driftwood to leech tannins...any real wood is going to do that. Apart from boiling it there is no way to speed up the process except for what you are doing with soaking and water changes.

I have 2 large lumps of wood in my tank and it took about 4 months for my tank to clear up (but that was with weekly water changes only).

volcom

by volcom

i think carbon pads help. but if you have a planted tank, it will take the good stuff for the plants out of the water. haha i had the same problem, i ended up throwing it out..

zambize

by zambize

When I boil my driftwood I don't wait for the water to turn perfectly clear. When the water is a light tea color I put it in my tank and I don't notice any change in the tank water.

Z

CedricAndCandy7566

by CedricAndCandy7566

Yeah volcom is right - activated carbon certainly does strip the tannins out of the water and make it sparkle. But it will wreck any plants. If you've got no live plants then go for the activated carbon or purigen in your filter...

driftwood

5 posts