NEW african chiclids tank

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Cichlids > Discus. There's a lot cheeper and easier to care for. Discus are really cool but very expensive and very time consuming.

volcom

by volcom

what are the best ways to raise the PH? i want sand. no gravel! and i already haverocks. just from outside. they are round, any ideas how to clean them?

josmoloco

by josmoloco

What is your tap ph? Tank bred Africans generaly do fine in most water as long as it is not acidic.Mine do great in ph7.6-7.8(kh unknown) I have heard from very experienced cichlid keepers that the best way to raise ph is to use baking soda.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I use a Lake Malawi cichlid buffer in my tank. I just add it with each water change. It keeps my pH at a steady 8.2. I have just plain sand and a mix of lava and river rocks. You can find it at any lfs. Just look for the African cichlid buffer. Try to get the powder form instead of liquid. Mine has lasted me forever! I hear the liquid you go thru it 3 times as fast.

Like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4198

When I pick up rocks from outside I scrub them off then boil them about 4 times in a big pot.

volcom

by volcom

OH man 4 times.
and i will buy some of the buffer probably. and should get scrubing and boiling soon :P
I dont think im getting them for at leats like 2 months though, so i dont hav PH strips.. so i doont really know my PH at my house..

thanks for all the great help :P!

nikoloose

by nikoloose

In regards to yout rocks you should read this, just incase they are not safe to use seeing as you found them in the garden.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rock_metals.php

I definatly think you should go with Malawi Mbuna, Discus are just plain boring. There breeding activity is interesting but its too much effort in my opinion for very little

volcom

by volcom

looks like limestone
so ya itd be good apapently. hah another dealy on the tank.
but when its up and running there will be pictures. lol

NEW african chiclids tank

17 posts • Page 2 of 2