red slug/slim

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jeff

red slug/slim

by jeff

Hey guys . I have a 55 gal tank with a seaclone skimmer. A pengiunbio filter and 3 powerheads. I have a 1 inch sand bottemand 30lbs of live rock. I am getting redish slug slim on the sund. It is in clumps when I try to remove it. Can anyone tell me the cause and the solusion

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

do you have sun light hitting the tank for extended periods of time? high phosphates low water current - -how many GPH does your filter move?should be 300-500 gallons per hour at a minimum}{im moveing 700gph in a 20 gallon tank for example} whats your bioload {howmany, what kind and how big are your fish?}

right away - small frequent water changes,{5-8 gallons ever three days for a couple weeks} cut back on the food some, bump up the filtration, blow the slime crap off with a turkey baster and let the filter get it then service the filter regularly

you can get redslime remover { i dont likechems but it does work, but you still have to fix the cause}

keep the tank out of direct sunlight

keep us posted

Boss

barnsey

by barnsey

Cyno bacteria (spelling????)can occur for a number of reasons,old tubes/hallide bulbs,incorrect light output,poor flow in the tank,excess nutrients(nitrates/phosphates)

Your flow seems ok if you have 3 powerheads so it really comes down to one of the other 2.

Have you changed your bulbs/tubes recently??
If so are they different outputs to what you had previiously??
Are you using any phosphate remover in your sump or filter(Rowaphos or phosban etc)??

Cyno is actually a blue/green algae even though it looks red,if your really stuck and none of the above seems to help try www.wetwebmedia.com....Lots of experts there,just search cyno or blue green algae:)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Hey im a expert=) at fish....Jeff how old is your tank ? Do you use RO water ?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah but he dont return email - - - -you pissed at me or somethin Pimp?????

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Lmao, Me mad at boss .....Not even close ..I love you man=).. I got the good ole wheeler back..thats all i have been doing...sorry=(..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sweet !!!! i got a cheap one and have been doin a lil wheelin myself - -02 big bear 400 2 wheel drive - - -i hate it but it gets me where i wanna go

did you get my email?

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ya i bought me an 05' ttr-250 about a month ago and it only had 435 miles on it, BUT back to the fish topics..... boss should have people pay for his advise... i mean look at how quick he posted what to do haha

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

that means work is slow man .......not a good thing.....i might be closeing the doors if things dont change here pretty quick

the thought of going back to work for somebody is killing me but - - -bills gotta be paid eh?

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Boss i did get the email, work is so crazy right now + the work at home is a never ending battle....Working for people sucks..I hope shit works out for ya man.

red slug/slim

10 posts