OMG seems like my guppies are never gonna have their fry!

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Well it's been 4 weeks give or take a day or 2 and they both look like they are gonna pop I moved one into my breeder box and she wasnt stressed by it luckily she had been in there a while but I removed her because my other one looked like she was trying to find a spt to have hers and the other didnt and she also got ick so I removed and im medicating the tank with them my breeder box is a new one by pennplax that sucks the babys to a seperate box and im just trying to make sure that they arnt throwing eggs early that arnt fully ready yet I dont think they are but I have seen some small tan dots in the baby box maybe its just poop but does anyone have any tips on how to help them relax and have the babies im breeding mine and selling them back to my pet shop I need the money and every penny counts so I dont wanna loose any of my guppies!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

First, I think you need to relax....lol. It typically takes about 30 days for guppies to have baby so they should be having them any day. I think the biggest way for them to relax is to be comfortable in their environment. My suggestion would be for the females to have their fry in the main tank (take the loss, they're gonna get eaten) for at least a couple months. They need to be comfortable in their tank in order to be “stress free”. If the guppies are new to the tank, they could be stressed simply because of that (new tank). Take your time and be patient. Don’t expect great success with breeding the very first time. I would maybe let the females go through one or two breeding cycles (2/3 months) before I concentrated on breeding them. Just my opinion.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Have you worked out a deal with your pet shop to buy them for cash? The reason I ask is that 99% of them will only give you store credit IF they take the fish. Most stores will only take cichlids from people, not easy fish to breed like guppy's and platys.

Just wanted to let you know this before you get your hopes up.

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Yeah I have already taled with them.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Good :-) I just didn't want to see you spend all the time and effort getting the fry to grow out just to not be able to find a home for them. Trust me, its a sucky situation. I tried that and no one wanted my platy or guppy fry, so I ended up giving them away to friends.

You could try putting some plant leaves in the holding thing with the mom's. I would drop a fake plant in to help them feel more secure. The always hid behind it but settled down after awhile.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Just breed some cichlids! Malawi haps will more than pay for themselves and their setup!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I don't think the Haps will fit in her 10 gallon Jos LOL

CatherineG

by CatherineG

Yeah guppies are smaller and require a little less so lol

8 posts