Tank overrun with snails!!!

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

monkeybone315

by monkeybone315

My 46 gallon tank is a semi/non-aggressive tank. I recently put in a bushy nose pleco and the tank was infected with snails. I've heard dwarf puffers and loaches enjoy eating the little twerps and was wondering what route I should take to get them removed. (I have two angels, 3 congo tetras, and 5 blackskirt tetras as well) Thanks for all of your advice. -Ryan

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I think, if you don't have fancy shrimp in the aquarium there may be medication you can add to water that harms animals with shells like shrimp snails and some microscopic ones.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Never use snale medication, bad stuff it is. I doubt the snails came with th BN plec anyhow,,, now to eliminate the snails, what kind are they? Pond snails and ramshorn snails are beat eliminated by yo-yo, clown, or pakistani loaches. If they are malasian trumpet snails they may be too hard for the loach to eat.

monkeybone315

by monkeybone315

Looks like they are malasian trumpet snails. Could the loaches still work?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I seem to remember something a little more informative but...

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/2087

The best solution to being overrun with snails is to cut back on feeding to eliminate excess fish food. Food availability is directly linked to whether or not snails reproduce. The more excess food, the more snails.

The handy thing is malaysian trumpet snails are cannibals and will actually eat each other if not enough food is present to sustain their population.

Its difficult for any snail-eater to completely eliminate MTS because most of them will spend daylight hours in the substrate.

Personally I think a small population of any snails are nice. They help keep plants/decor/aquarium surfaces clean. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDX1j1z5mME

monkeybone315

by monkeybone315

Cannibals?!? That's awesome!! What kind of feeding schedule should i start doing?

zambize

by zambize

A simple way to eliminate or at reduce the snail population is to bait them. Put some lettuce or zucchini on the bottom of the tank just before lights out. Right when you turn the lights on you should see a bunch of snails on the produce. Use a net to remove the produce and the snails. You may have to remove any plecostomus for the night.

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

feeding schedule is really up to you and more importantly your fish. The most important thing is when feeding to make sure that all the food you put in is consumed within 3-5 minutes of putting it in the aquarium. Any food left longer usually goes untouched until the snails get to it, and when that happens it triggers breeding. Since the 3 most common ''pest'' snails are asexual and don't need a ''partner'', 1 snail can lead to 100 in a fairly short amount of time if you let uneaten food go unchecked.

I tend to feed mine once a day 4-5 days a week and twice a day 2-3 times a week. Sometimes in the a.m. they'll eat a little more vigorously and I'll make a note to feed again that evening. I use no methods to control my snails and all of them remain in good order, and help to keep the aquarium clean. I guess if I had to I'd eastimate I probably have about 15-30 ramshorns, and the same amount of MTS. I had pond snails but I'm not sure where they went to.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Alright Alright, Go to PETCO / Or PETsmart and get 2 clown loaches. Within a week there gone and you will never have snail issues again. Clown loaches do not eat plants and are bottom feeders/ left over food eaters. There cheap too!!

zambize

by zambize

The clown loach can reach a foot long and will be too large for a 46 gallon tank.

Z

12 posts • Page 1 of 2