Rocks

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

chi6488

Rocks

by chi6488

How does everyone keep their rocks clean?? My rocks always have some type of crud built up on them.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

when you say crud, you mean like a silt build up yeah.
that is detritus and can be easily removed into the water coloum by means of power heads or you can manually turkey baster it off. but if you have enough flow you will tend to eliminate the problem. do you have a sump or a canister filter, either way you should direct the flow of detritus towards the outlet to try and get rid of it that way.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I was suffering the same problem. I was getting detritus build up on my sand in the back of the tank. Once a week..I make sure my hands are free of oils detergients lotion.....and I swish my hand around to make sure everything got stirred up a little. Thats what I used to do, aka I didnt have the money to buy new powerheads. NOW, I have a TON of flow, so if you can add some flow, your corals, fish, and detritus will appreciate it. :)How big is your tank and what kind of flow do you have?

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

Even with good flow the crevices of the rock in my tank tends to get build up. I take care of this with my water changes, I use a hose to drain water from tank into my 5 gal bucket. In esence, i vacuum the rock carefully... occasionally i'll snag a snail or crab and simply fish him out of the bucket however this process has helped keep my tank looking pretty good.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

what kind of clean up crew do you have? Heres why I ask. I used to think that the bigger the crew the better.....wrong. You need enough to keep algae under control, and thats it. nothing more. Just because you put 100 hermits in your tank.......doesnt make it cleaner. Your adding bioload....in the manner of detritus pooping crabs and snails. 90% of my detritus is from snails and crabs.....fish poo stays in the water column and gets sucked in by the overflow. SOOOO, how big is your crew? Are they doing more bad than good?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

fair point fish boy fair point.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

In my 200 i've got 20 hermits, 20-30 turbos, 1 sally lightfoot... as the tank has aged i've noticed less with each water change.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

now look at your deitrus on your rocks....is it mostly pill shaped? if so....its your turbos. They poo more than any freakin snailn I have.I have considered ridding them from my tank....and relying on the smaller ones.

jweb

by jweb

I don't know how much margarita snails poo, but they definately eat 20x what a turbo snail does in a day. I have 3 and they keep my entire 58 gallon clean of major green hair algae.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I'll have to mix it up a little and see if i notice any change, the turbos i have are all very large so that could very well be my issue. Maybe i'll weed some out and see if the tank stays algae free..

Rocks

12 posts • Page 1 of 2