Building a terrarium. What is that drying foam from Ace?

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hi. I want to build a small terrarium. One of the things I need is that thing that is supposed to be sold at hardware stores. It is like this foam that comes out from a plastic tube. It is very light but water proof. It solidifies and doesn't react with anything, so its safe for animals. I think its used to fill holes in houses. I asked the person at ace hardware but he actually didn't know what that was.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

there is stuff out there not necassarily sold by ACE but it is called "handi foam" you can prob pick it up at home depot etc. although ace does carry a foam sealant called "beckett foam sealant" but that is used for koi ponds and outdoor waterfalls. the only thing i cant really help you with is the ingredients. your best bet would be to go to the local stores around your area and read the ingredients and see if it is toxic. most of the time it they arent toxic to humans then they arent toxic to animals since our society tests chemicals on animals anyhow. just be careful bc with wear and tear of the foam may cause it to "flake" off and may cuase problems to your pet in the long run.
i may be wrong........but that is just my knowledge of what sealants i have used and seen.
good luck

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Most hardware stores carry stuff called expansion foam. (low or high expansion foam) which is toxic.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

might try a craft store and get foam blocks - -then you can carve them into what ever shape you want and cover them in modeling latex {its a liquid that gets hard {rubbery hard not solid} train modeler use it for tunnels and stuff

"great stuff" expansion foam is toxic for a while but will eventually "outgas" and become inert and safe - - -but it would take a couple weeks - it can"t remain toxic or we wouldnt be allowed to use it in home use because lil kids would be getting sick - - - hence the reason we dont use lead base paint any more either

Boss

Boss

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Hey boss I think you just explained why my parents are so insane...their house is about 200 years old and still has some of the original paint on the walls! Its gotta be lead based! lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yep thats it ...........................................lol

6 posts