HEATERS...

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

NAGABEAST

HEATERS...

by NAGABEAST

I AM TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN A MARINELAND VISI THERM STEALTH & A FLUVAL E SERIES HEATER...DOES ANY1 HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER OR ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ANY OTHERS???

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I use a Visi-Therm heater now and I can tell you that they are not fool proof and not completely submersible. I put mine in the sump completely submerged and after several months it started acting up and one night I put my hand in the sump and got a big surprise. I was glowing that night and after that I just put the lower half of my heater in the water and left the cord out of the water. Whatever you do DO NOT BUY A GLASS HEATER!!!. They break and are just not worth it.
Hope the advise helps

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

while we are talking heaters maybe quickly read this thread.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/2896

jweb

by jweb

Rena Smart Heater is the best one that I have used. It keeps the water in my cichlid tank within a degree, all the time. I also have a Via Aqua Titanium heater which works well in my 58 gallon tank sump, the outside temperature dial is kick ass too. I have a Jager heater that I basically got for free from drs foster and smith because they never sent me a return label to ship it back and its been 2 months. They both worked fine but the temp dial on the Jager is super hard to change and online it says they are fully submersible and they probably are but the box warns you not to submerge it past the water line level on the heater.

Out of those three, the Rena smart heater is my favorite for stability, but the dial is also hard to change. The Via Aqua is really really easy and the heater is fully submersible and it has a seperate temp sensor that you can mount away from the actual heater unit.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I've had no issues with my Marineland heater. It's completely submerged and keeps the tank within 1-2 degrees of the setting. I monitor with a seperate thermo in the sump.

HEATERS...

5 posts