help!!! I dont know what fish i can put with my betta!!!!!!!

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

by milky648

One betta in a 10 gallon what eles can i put in??????????

zambize

by zambize

I'm assuming you mean a male betta. For starters, no other bettas, male or female, just in case you didn't know. I've heard some horror stories. I have many bettas, in several different tanks and have had lots of experience with them in community tanks. They may or may not get along very well with other Anabantids, like Gourami. I've had some success, but it's hit or miss, and I don't recommend it. Bettas are peaceful, slow-moving fish and they like other peaceful, slow-moving fish. Don't choose crazy, fast fish, like most tetras, for example.

Also, it is frequently mentioned in the literature that guppies are not recommended for bettas because their finnage and fancy colors too closely resemble that of the betta and fights will sometimes occur. Guppies can also be very high-energy fish. Bettas are actually very passive fish, just not with their own kind. I would stay away from very active schooling fish, as the shear quantity and activity is often overwhelming for the betta.

I've had excellent experience with platies with my bettas, and they come in so many different colors. I've also had swordtails with my bettas, but only ONE male swordtail per tank...the males will fight to the death. You can also have, for example, cherry barbs, corydoras and otocinclus in your tank and the latter will both help keep your tank clean. I've also had African Dwarf Frogs in my tank with my bettas. You could have a couple in your 10 gallon. They're cute and only get about the size of a 50-cent piece. I'm sure there are others I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

Two things to remember for sure: 1. Take care not to overstock...your betta will just retreat to a top corner somewhere and you won't see the little guy very much, and 2. stay far, far away from any fish that even *might* fin nip. The long, flowy fins of the slow-moving betta will be too much of a temptation.

Also, provide the betta with a lot of top cover because he will like to hang out at the top and you will actually see him more if he knows that he has a safe place to retreat to when he feels the need. You may even see a bubble nest if he feels really comfortable.

Z
Last edited by zambize on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranger_Dorian

by Ranger_Dorian

I have a 55 gallon tank, and my cousin said something similar to what the last person said. However my experience was not as nice. I have a Brown African Knife fish that is about 6" maybe 7". My sister had a male betta in a 1 gallon vase, and we wanted to put it with my fish to make it happy. Out of all of my guppies, dragon gobies, molly, and other fish, it would constantly attack the Brown Knife fish. The Brown Knife fish was too peaceful and just ran away. It would chase it around everywhere flaring at it. This was not literally every second, but it happened too frequently for my liking, so I took the betta out and he now dwells in his 1 gallon jar. I might add him with my 12 gallon tank of 6 guppies. So this was an odd experience, but one that people should know about. Good luck finding a companion for the Betta.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I had Neon Tetra and Guppies in one tank with the betta and they never bought. Just make sure you dont put any fishes with big wavy fins and tails that Betta might confuse for another Betta.

zambize

by zambize

I would imagine the Knife Fish looked too much like another betta. Wavy, flowy fins and such. Bettas will flare at anything that resembles another betta. Neon Tetras are ok with most bettas, but Guppies are not recommended. Not all bettas have flowy fins, such as the King Betta or younger bettas, and guppies with their fancy fins, coloration, and body shape too closely resemble the betta. There's always someone who's done it "successfully", but when multiple sources warn me about a potential danger I usually listen, especially if a fish may be harmed by my experimentation. There's more to it than whether or not they will fight, there is also whether or not the fish is happy.

Z
Last edited by zambize on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

You could also try white clouds. They're great fish to mix with just about anything (including Bettas)

zambize

by zambize

I've had white clouds with bettas before, they aren't as spastic as some others.

Z

milky648

by milky648

well ill see what happens

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I have a 15gallon with a crown tail betta and a guppy, a swordtail, some neon tetras, glow light tetra, and platies. i have lots of plants and a piece of driftwood and everyone is happy and healthy. so i guess it just all depends.

milky648

by milky648

ya true its just been so long ive hade a comutiy tank i just have chilids and with thoes somtimes im having problems lol

10 posts