IS THIS A GOOD FILTER???

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

NAGABEAST

IS THIS A GOOD FILTER???

by NAGABEAST

THIS IS A FILTER I AM CONSIDERING: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=3595

IT IS A MARINELAND MAGUM CANISTER FILTER W/ A BIO-WHEEL...

IS THIS GOOD???

jweb

by jweb

For what kind of tank? Reef setup? FOWLR? How many gallons?

Marineland filters are pretty good, and some people swear by the bio-wheels.

NAGABEAST

by NAGABEAST

60 GAL. TANK WILL BE ???FOWLR??? (FISH ONLY W/ LIVE ROCK???) @ BEGINNING...& DO YOU KNOW MUCH ABOUT PROTEIN SKIMMERS??? ARE THEY NECESSARY??? & ALSO WHAT IS A GOOD SUMP SIZE TO HAVE FOR A TANK THIS BIG??? IF YOU KNOW...THANX

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Its a good filter if your trying to grow algae....ask blue...canisters are a PAIN in the rear and they are nitrate factories. If you want something thats going to perform.....this is what you want....

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah.... performance is unparalleled at 940 gph on the ole' fx5 but cleaning it is the part that kills me........... i lose water ON MY CARPET....... EVERYTIME i clean it.... sump looks good though, can jus drop your skimmer in it and everything.......... which i also had to bypass.... thank God i decided to leave some extra room behind my tank when before i put 800 lbs of shit in it haha

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

protein skimmers are not a necessity but good to have. all they do is get the organinc compounds out of the water before they turn into nitrogen waste. i have a friend of mine that has only a protein skimmer and a few hydor korilia powerheads and his tank is crystal clear bc he couldnt afford a filter but he is doing just fine. i guess its a trial and error.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ohh yeah.........the lfs has a 125 FULL of sps and LPS and all ti has is a filter sock and a HUGE skimmer.

IS THIS A GOOD FILTER???

7 posts