NEWBIE...NEED ADVICE!!!

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

NAGABEAST

NEWBIE...NEED ADVICE!!!

by NAGABEAST

I'M JUST GETTING INTO THIS & NEED ADVICE ON FILTERS, LIGHTING, HEATING, ETC...WHAT PRODUCTS, BRANDS, ETC. ARE GOOD OR ARE WORTH THE MONEY TO HAVE??? I'VE BEEN READING A LOT BUT I WOULD APPRICIATE TO HEAR FROM THE ONES WHO HAVE HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE OF THIS (YOU GUYS)...I HAVE A 60 GAL. GLASS TANK & WILL BE BUYING PIECE BY PIECE...I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH MOST OF THE PROCESS OF START UP BUT I DONT WANT TO MAKE AN INCORRECT BUY ON EQUIPMENT...ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED...THANX

mralanjones

by mralanjones

i would go with the recirculating protein skimmer made by octopus.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Dont be a tight arse, buy quality, or it will bite you back later. you will find your self replacing it all in 6mths
Octopus skimmer is a good choice, and metal halides are my pic. as far as filter im bias and say a refugium sump, but a good fx5 fluval canister is good.

newbie916

by newbie916

I agree with Puff, you don't want to go cheap starting out. It'll cost you more in the long run. Go with MH's, Actinic T-5's, and moonlight combo system. It makes a huge difference on the corals you can keep and you could enjoy your tank 24/7. Also, the refugiums are awesome and you could grow your own Macro Algae to feed your herbivores. It also keeps your water quality in check. Good luck

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i WOULD NOT recommend you to get hte fx5.... yes it does like 940 gal per hour and has a microchip and whatnot but it is a BITCH to clean out......... heavy...... haha mines not in the friendliest location but unless you have a huge tank id avoid the fx5... good filter though

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The best filter you can buy.....a sump based. No matter if its juts a skimmer and protein sock......or if you want to add a refuge. Either way, you cant go wrong with a sump based filter. easy as hell to keep clean and cheap in the long run. :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

^+1

fihsboy

by fihsboy

*filter sock* my bad!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

lol, i was like what the heck is a protein sock..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

NEWBIE...NEED ADVICE!!!

10 posts