LFS

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

GONZAIMAKI

LFS

by GONZAIMAKI

I wanna blame the system of buying saltwater fishes here in our area. Very cheap but very dangerous!
We live in an archipelago here, so salt water fishes here is not a problem, over fish is the problem. too many competition for cheap fish stores resulting to very poor fishes in the market. They tend to over crowd tanks with untreated fishes literary coming directly from the sea to the tank to buyers on one same day. Can you imagine that.
Less time the fishes stays in their aquarium the less chances of fish kill for them (LFS) so they intend to sell fishes at a very low low price with very little chance of survival and take note no LAW here related to this problem.
As a buyer I am always having a very hard time selecting fishes that are good enough to even bet to survive in my tank. As a result earlier, I have a total 100percent fish kill in my tank due to white spot / itch. All my old and established fishes were also killed. Im now running fishless for 1 month.
I dont know what to do? I cant just buy any fish from now on. But then again, I have no other place to go to except to that cheap fish compound here that no decent LFS.
Yes, not a single decent and honest LFS in my area.
It goes down to instinct and keen eye from now on.
Do any one have a suggestion? thanks

newbie916

by newbie916

You could always order online from a reputable dealer and have it shipped to you. Another option is to set up a small quarantine tank and leave the new fish in there for 4 weeks before adding them to your system. I usually buy my fish from a few local LFS's, but make sure that they have had them for a few weeks before I buy them. Try the online stores and set up a quarantine tank.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would see if you could put some money down on the fish...have them hold it. for a week in a tank by itself and go from there. If they wont.......buy online. screw them.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

im curious...... how the hell do they ship a live fish across the country...... i can understand something like a dog or a lizard or something...... but a fish?? explain

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Liverock,corals,fish make a few pitstops before they make it to your lfs,placed in holding tanks for days to weeks then shipped again,, i was going to ship some corals to Puffed ..it would take 7 days to get there, and that was the fastest way, nothing would ever survive the trip.. if you buy online you better buy more then one item or the shipping on one fish would blow....Newbie is right quarintine...its not the lfs fault you get ich...also look into uv..to kill what ich you might have in your system already.

GONZAIMAKI

by GONZAIMAKI

thanks!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

i have shipped inside Australia, but never overseas like pimp says, they were realcold when they arrived, quarantine would be my bet.

newbie916

by newbie916

Puff, how is the Great Barrier Reef? I've only been out to Hawaii, which doesn't really have very many exotic corals. I want to visit Australia, Indonesia, Belize, and the Caribean.

gonzaimaki7563

by gonzaimaki7563

no shipments for LFS here, as in we can get as many fish as we want, I can catch for my self if I want to. We are in an island here and there is really sea everywhere here. LFS here doesnt mind if the fish die for another few days or so bcause local fisherman are supplying the "fish market" here 2 to 3 times a week.
I even tried to buy 1 big bag of assorted fishes from one of them, guess what 90 percent of the fishes died off, but I got them for a very cheap price. The same goes for all of the LFS here in manila, they buy tons of fishes and throw them on a big tank for a couple of days, buyers will get fish as cheap as possible (gamble on the condition of the fishes) for the first few days and as the fishes begins to aclimate to the condition of the tank (literally survived on the tank" ) then its price will begin to rise up.

LFS

9 posts