Pulsing Xenia's are dying off

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I did a water change on Sunday and noticed that all of my pulsing Xenia's are gone except for one. I've had them for a year and didn't have any problems. The only thing I added to the tank was 8 lbs of live rock a few weeks ago. Is there anything that will eat Xenia's? Also, are they sensitive to any kind of additive. My Calcium is at 460, could that do it? All of my other water perameters are normal.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Do you add iodine ? calcium at 460 will not kill anything.. What other additives do you add ?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i added 2 drops of lugols for hte first time in about 3 months the other day, are you saying iodine is bad for corals?????

fihsboy

by fihsboy

no iodine is good. helps them keep there color. iodine is also good for your inverts such as shrimp..........it helps them molt. My calcium will get in the 500 range sometimes.....thats when I get over happy and dose twice on accident. :) oops. corals and rock soak it in by the end of the day anyways. Possible you got contaminated water? Where did you get your rock!?!?!? Test for copper! If the rock came from a tank that had been treated with copper the copper is in the rock and leaching into your system. Could be a copper problem.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

THANK GOD that wasnt my problem........ i know i freaked when hte possibility of copper arose.....

newbie916

by newbie916

My Xenia's are all gone. Last of them died off yesterday. I don't dose straight iodine.. I use Coralvite, Magnesium, PH buffer, Essential trace, Calcium, and Purple Up. All of my other corals are doing awesome and my super large Pink bubbletip is fine.

The rock was purchased from one of the LFS's and was curing for 6 weeks in their tub. I would think that if it was something in my water, it would effect the other corals. It sucks because I really like the pulsing Xenia's and I'm concerned.

The only thing that I could think of was the phosphate reactor needs a new O ring and I turned it off last Sunday because it started leaking. After that they started to die off.hmm I need to check my phosphates and get my reactor up and running today.

Thanks guys

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Xenias die all the time imo, i had two that died on different occasions, never again. they are ok to look atbut there is better stuff out there

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, I thought it was my tank and it was freaking me out. I spoke with my guy at one of the LFS's and he said it's normal. They only last about a year and will flourish and die off. I guess they're like seasonal flowers... At least I know it's not me.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well then how do they survive in the wild. If they dont reproduce theyre doomed??? so if your tank doesnt have optimal breeding conditions your viewing of xenias is limited??

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I have found in previous tanks i had, solitare xenias will only live a year or so, My xenias that walked all the time, i never noticed die off, mabie there was to many to tell.I have witnessed one of my colonys before it died release all the polyops, where later i found a ton of new colonys . They also seem to do better with dirty water and sacrophyton, The cleaner your water the less likley they will make it.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2