good tank mates for lg. puffers??

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

samik

by samik

I will definitly waite awhile before adding any new fish to my tank do to my recent ick scare. I but I have been wondering what kind of a tankmates would do best with a large stars n stripes puffer. he is a good 8 inches. A little background info: 150gl. with green wolf eel and a 5 inch dusky wrass which came out of my 65gl reef. I thought that maybe a nice size lion would be good. I really love long horned cow fish minus the toxin. maybe some sort of angle or tang. I have been told to hold out for a chevron tang but im not to sure. I think that a mature flame angle would add some nice color to the tank but im not sure if the puffer would get froggy or not. any suggestion would be great. thanks

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i think it would b fun to have a tank such as yours, i jus dont know what would be going on without a clean up crew, doesnt your eel eat anything helpful?? Umm...... i think that groupers are sweet....... panther grouper perhaps??? if not i love the harlequin tusks ....... a nice trigger fish too........ ummm niger trig??? Ddidnt do ne research on those, jus went off the fact that u have a pretty big tank and it doesnt soudn like a reef

samik

by samik

as far as a clean up crew goes im going to try to get a larger hermit crab. I have already built a kind of safe house for him. to where the puffer could not get to him when he changes shells. Once there is enough algea then i will get an urchin. but that is as far I have come on a clean up crew. I do have a dusky wrass that grabbes the extra food that the puffer does not get. I any one has any suggestions feel free to chime in any time. peace!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the word "crab" is actually latin for "puffer treat" bud....(im kidding}................lol sorry to say. basically if it has a shell - puffy will eventually eat it, crabs,snails,clam etc etc - - -buddy of mine has a dogface puff about 12 inches long and he eats 2-3 clams as big as your fist every couple days - - -smashes right through the shells and gets em - - its pretty amazing to see

Boss

samik

by samik

speaking of that wear would you buy clams, moulusk, etc. I have looked every where locally that is I would rather not buy online. any Ideas....

5 posts