salt in my tank

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

princesuhaib

salt in my tank

by princesuhaib

Hey everyone, Thank you in advance for helping me out!

I have just began setting up my new tank and first I added non live sand than I added fresh water, than I added my 2 power heads to get the water moving, than I got my water temperature to 78 degrees and stable, than I added 60 Gal worth of Salt. Now I still have salt on the bottom of my tank, on top of the sand, and I can still see the currents which looks slimy which I beleive is from the salt. How can I get the salt to evenly distrute, or should the salt just sit on the bottom?

Please let me know!

Thank You

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ummmm oh shit? i really dont know what to do, youre supposed to mix up the salt in the water befroe you put it in.... i guess theoretically you could stir ALL of it up, salt and sand and all in the water and the salt shold only dissolve then u chcek your salinity and wait a day or two and the sand shuold settle on the bottom........ idk ask someone before oyu do that

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

if there is nothing in it but sand just stir it every hour or so to get it mixing. point a power head directly across substrate to get it up. always pre mix salt in water in a separate tub two days prior to needing it

newbie916

by newbie916

Puff is right. I mix my salt at least two days before I do any water change. I use a 30 gallon trash can to mix 20-25 gallons of RO/ DI water and my salt. I have two powerheads and a heater in there for two days, until all of it's mixed. Make sure the temp is 78-82 degrees and check the salinity to make sure it's between 1.023-1.025.

Also, what kind of salt are you using? Some salts take longer to dissolve.

princesuhaib

by princesuhaib

Hey I have 2 power heads and all the salt is cleared up!

My heat is stable at 78 degrees Fahrenheit! My question is do i set up my trickle system and the pump to pump the water back in my tank first or add the live sand first?
Thank You

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

wont really matter

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

i think ill jus go ahead and present the most enthusiastic award to this cat

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would add the sand first......then the filter. That way.....well hell it doesnt really matter. But if you add the sand first and then the filter.....the filter pad in the trickle will pick up the sand debris after they have settled. I like to keep it in my tank.....helps buffer your water. :)

salt in my tank

8 posts