Should I get a part time job at a petsore?

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

zum14

by zum14

So there seems to be a lot of good info floating around this particular forum. Ive been reading a bit and trying to lend a few tidbits where I can and learning a lot from others. Now with the great economy the way it is right now my work is cutting our hours back a bit and telling us to go onto EI for the missed days, but id rather not go on EI as Id have to repay most of it at the end of the year so I was thinking of getting a part time job for my weekends. I know a manager at a Petstore and was told that I could get a job there in there fish department because I knew more then most of the employees there currently and they were doing some weeding to get rid of unproductive employees. My current problem is that I dont feel that I am an expert by far, I feel I have a good understanding, but I have a real pet peeve about going to a petsore and the guy trying to bullshit you somthing stupid and knows less then you do. So dont worry about sounding rude by saying no stay out of it because this is what im asking, should I still get a job there? It would be neat to get the discount, and work with fish all day, but again i dont want to look like an idiot when someone asks me something. I will say that I am pretty resourseful and I would admit if I didnt know but would race somewhere and try as hard a I could to find the info there looking for. Its kind of how I found this forum. ( oh and i already asked my wife but lets be serious, there always gonna support what you want to do so there not so much help. ) Ok so rude or not, should I do it?

darkruby

by darkruby

Well, I say this is one of those "learn as you go" things. This could be a great opportunity for you to learn things about what you enjoy doing and could open the door for a future you would like to do in your life. Of course, this is a touchy type of subject because when it comes to creatures, I live off a don't mess up basis. I treat creatures as important as humans. So, I would be careful on how you approach this because mistakes are not usually tolerated. But, with care and practice, you could do well.
Become those who bring enlightenment to the world by way of creatures and showing their meaning and beauty.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Dude....go for it. keep reading before you know it you could be another manager. Just study up and know your stuff. people at my petco told this dude next to me to just fill his tank up and throw the fish in.......my jaw dropped. Of course I took him to the side and told him to set up his tank and come back in a few weeks. at the earliest. and if he wanted primo stuff to go somewhere else. *disclaimer*(I was getting dog food) I say if you know a tank has to be cylced.......your better off than 90% of these morons that work at pet stores......wouldnt that be in basic training? I mean seariously.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

My best advice to anyone offering advice in regard to fish is this: 9/10 take the middle ground.

Experiences with fish and their little environments we put them in are in many cases situational. An example would be someone who swears up and down that a dwarf puffer which is indeed a predatory fish cannot be kept with other dwarf puffers or community fish or even some much larger, semi-aggressive fish.

He/she may tell you stories about their puffer(s) tearing the flesh off their other fish and waking up to find mass quantities dead. After asking this person a few questions in regard as to whether all these fish were kept in a tank with:

1. adequate living space - this means calculating in at least 3 gallons per puffer, and beyond that the 1" of fish per gallon rule
2. plenty of decor and cover - to create a more natural environment, break line of sight, and in most cases weed out cases of aggression
3. that the attacked fish were kept in shoaling/schooling numbers above 5. most community fish need numbers to feel secure, and in many cases a predator in this situation will only attack a weak/dying/separated fish. Or better yet, a nice little slow moving snail which any puffer would prefer to begin with..

I could keep going, point is chances are the person would answer no to most of these questions, but there's always a chance they did do everything correctly and just ended up with the wrong cards so to speak.

Generally the above situation is a risky move, but I can attest to doing it successfully for a long time. Regardless there's more often than not middle ground, and its best not to give answers one way or the other.

However there are absolutes such as water changes and ph/temperature shock, and the good old disease preventative aquarium salt.

Just do your reading. If you cross reference enough you'll find the middle of the spectrum. ;) and as fishboy says you're bound to be advising walking through the door better than half the sorry excuses for aquaria staff most chain stores have on hand.

zum14

by zum14

Thanks for the opinions, i dont feel quite so nervous doing it now, but i think im going to try at the petstore thats hiring for a warehouse guy and mabye work up to the floor, there also more specialized, the one petstore i was originally looking at mentioned reptile care, and well i think they prob make good pets for some people there not for me, im a fish guy through and through, i can handle snakes and spiders, but for some reason just cant get interested enough to learn about them.

jweb

by jweb

I would say go for it. I am probably going to get a job at the saltwater fish store here soon. I wouldn't consider myself an expert either, but i know more than about 90% of people who keep fish. Experts are those who know the serious chemistry behind saltwater and reef tanks, and have had true experiences and success with all types of fish, diseases, habitats, equipment, different size aquariums, etc... and there aren't many of those people around.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well im no expert......thats for damn sure. Im learning every day. But I keep ordering college text books on ocean biography. Certain ecosystems. Basically anything I can get my hands on. I love learning new things. Like today, I was looking at the tank and it looked somewhat cloudy......so I watched it for a bit. Around 20-30 limpits were on the rocks all extended to the lights like they were praising it or something......watched one of them and they were spawning. It was tight as hell. One would should little eggs and the other would shoot a stream to meet it. Coolest thing I have ever seen in my tank. Unfortunatly my camera was dead........so I didnt get any pictures. :( But it was sweet as hell.

zum14

by zum14

Thats crazy! Im actually going to start my 46Gal bowfront on salt when my 125 is done cycleing, cant wait to go where id never thought id ever go, I just finished reading a couple of books on it and am ready to start on it, going to go fish only first start slow, but plan and design for reef adders later when i can afford some of that perty lighting.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hey bud message me again, and put a subject. It wont let me read anthing without a subject.

zum14

by zum14

sorry thought i did, im just wondering if any of your textbooks youve read have been really good and full of helpful information., if so title and author would be helpful for me to track them down. I too always enjoy a good read and am constantly on the lookout for great tidbits of info

21 posts • Page 1 of 3