residue on glass

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

aborrero4u

residue on glass

by aborrero4u

My fish tank has residue on it.It is not algae because there is no water in the tank. Does anyone know a safe effective liquid cleaner that will clean this up.I have a 72 bow front so its big, and I want to get those spots out.it was a freshwater set up before the tank was drained.please help thanks in advance.

Alex b.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Try filling it with water and white vinegar overnight. Most of it will just wipe off then. Make sure to rinse it good when done.

zambize

by zambize

What kind of residue is it? That makes a difference. What's the color, texture, thickness, etc. Is it all over, just in once place, thicker in other, etc. If it's just thin, white and a little coarse you can probably just wipe it off with your hand or a cloth and some hot water. If it won't quite come off use a scraper of some sort. Try to avoid using any chemical not intended for aquatic use. Always try using hot water and a good scrubbing first. If you don't have a scraper, a credit card works sometimes and won't scratch the glass.

Z

fihsboy

by fihsboy

buy a bottle of vinegar........throw it in fill the rest with water. Bam clean. :)

aborrero4u

by aborrero4u

The vinegar worked along with some elbow aand a blade.thanks guys

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Any time bud. probably a little calcium build up, no biggie. What are you going to put in it.??

residue on glass

6 posts