SHY CICHLIDS!

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dane918

SHY CICHLIDS!

by dane918

everytime i walk up to my 5 foot tank my cichlids get scarred and hid in and amongst the rocks?
does anyone have any suggestions to stop this???
water quality is fine as they are continually falling pregnant!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, from the picture in your profile, they have no place to hide, so are probably spooked all the time. African cichlids need rocks, a lot of them to feel happy and secure. They also need to get used to people.

Mine where forever hiding on me too. I made a point of interacting with them every day so they would get used to me and stop hiding every time they saw movement in the room. One easily spooked fish will send them all into hiding. With the move to a bigger tank and more fish added, my fish, even the most easily spooked one, no longer jump for cover all the time. :-)

Here is a really good discussion about this issue. Its on another forum, but really insightful and the members give great advice/ideas. I hope you find some answers here.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=190563

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Cichlid-forum is where I started, lots of knowledgeable people(although here has tons as well) that are truly cichlid masters. I'd suggest joining up there as well because you can get some really good answers fast, whereas I feel this site has more regular visitors in SW than FW, which is great if you keep both.

zambize

by zambize

I have some brand new cichlids in one of my tanks, and they were only shy for a few days. I am feeding blood worms and some other yummy stuff...that seemed to bring them around fast. They come up to the glass now whenever I'm nearby. But, they also have lots of hiding places and have the security of knowing that they have adequate cover if they need it.

Z

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Zamb, what kind of cichlids did you get? Did you use the new 55 for an African tank?

If you got African Mbuna, blood worms are bad for them and can give them bloat. If they are just give it to them sparingly. I will give mine a treat of them maybe once a month. Just wanted to give you a heads up so your new babies don't get sick :-)

cknittle

by cknittle

the use of dithers or a small school of hardy fish will help them get used to it. when they see the dithers out and about swimming around theyll come out and stay out....
now this worked very well with some firemouth cichids that i have not sure how well or what schooling fish willl work with your africans

SHY CICHLIDS!

6 posts