What Do I Need?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

edub6307

What Do I Need?

by edub6307

Hey everyone im going to try to set up a 29 gallon FOWLR tank (again)

I need help on what filter(s) I need to keep it clean. Im not planing no corals now. (Maybe this summer)

And would a 65W compact light do good for live rock to change colors and look nice?

Also what kind of water chemicals should I get?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok im no genious so once you read my opinion here put it in the back of your head.... i would go ahead and spend a little more money on the light now so that once you do.. and you will.... get the urge to get corals you will already be taken care of.. the good thing is that in order to achieve hte approx 5 watts per gal on a 29 gallon tank u only need like 150 watts of light, my tank required around 400 to do that... yes a lesser light will grow the coraline and stuff just not as quick, im not really sure about your chemicals, if you really want color they do make purple up, which boosts the growth of coraline algae in your tank, i have no idea how well it works but ive heard of a few ppl trying it. Alot of people prefer to stay all natural with their tank and not dose chemicals but if youre planning on the whole reefing thing, a quick investment of the usual ph buffer, calcium, magnesium, strontium, iodine, all of that will really get you going towards the whole reefing thing. As for filter, i really have no idea man, my advise would to NOT get a canister filter.... i sort of rushed into mine and yes i got the fx5 which pushes out a monstrous 940 gal per hr but it is difficult to clean and like they say nitrates and detritus builds up in it. Perhaps a hang on the back one?? ive seen some pretty good ones ..... take a look at :
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=14448
i think that shuold do fine, easy to clean and hte 400 model is rated at a minimum of 30 gallons so you would be good on filtration... now i NEVER look up stuff for ppl so u got lucky....... and why do u say again?? did you fail at setting one up before???

edub6307

by edub6307

I might get a brighter light, but I have to think about it. Do you think I would be ok if I got 2 of the bio-wheels?

And I said again because 3 of my tanks crashed because of money. (But now I saved $300, that sould be good because I have alot of the expensive supplies!)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

oh i think you should be fine with just getting one of hte model 400's because the minimum rating is 30 gallons, the maximum is like 90 i think, something like that. What all supplies do you have?

edub6307

by edub6307

What about a wet/dry filter?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

dude, honestly i have no clue about those... never looked into one, never researched one.... sorry

edub6307

by edub6307

Really. What's all the stuff in your tank?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hey bud, if your going with a reef a wet dry is pointless. live rock will do the same thing. You will have algae problems with a wet dry. I would go with a berlin sump method. Refuge with a filter sock and a sump. That along with a nice skimmer, and you will be in business.

edub6307

by edub6307

Im not planning on having a reef, maybe a few feather dusters thats all. What about a sump, how could I make one?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

look up DIY sump on yahoo or wherever, theyre pretty popular, theres one on youtube, not hard to find

What Do I Need?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2