Bala Shark knocks self out

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ussbio

by ussbio

I have 3 bala sharks and once had 5 in a 20 gallon long tank with plastic plants. Then are between 2 to 5 inches in length.The problem I am having is they tend to get spooked when I walk by the tank and hit the end of the tank so hard they knock them self silly. When this happens one of their eyes always pop out of it's socket and they will act as if paralyzed and gasp for air, but their finds will be clinched down. I have saved one that did this, and the eye even went back in after a day or so. Is this normal for balas? I have kept them in the past with no problem. Any ideas how to save them if this happens again.

zambize

by zambize

I don't think it is normal for any fish's eye to pop out. It sounds as if the tank is too small and there aren't enough hiding places.

Z

kelbri

by kelbri

I understand that they need lots of swimming room, even if they are small. A 20 long is pretty small for them. As for the eye pop, I agree that that's probably not normal.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah you need a much bigget tank they get pretty big you should do some better reaserch on the fish you get and what they need.....

darkruby

by darkruby

You know, when you go fishing, the way to kill your catch Humanitarily is to knock them on the head with the butt of your knife to ensure a painless death. With that being said, this activity with your fish could be stress related or they don't feel secure ( they tie into each other). I would sugest, if it's not done already, that you add more hiding places and put plants (fake or not) in front of the sides the tend to hit the most. Cavrens are great for fish that tend to do this.
Eye poping is not exactly... um... "normal". It can happen, but it leads way for infection and disease. Look into stress reducers, though ask here before you use them because they are not all good for fish.

zambize

by zambize

Actually live plants plants may be tough with Balas because they may eat them.

Ussbio -- you should do a little research on your fish -- Bala sharks are known to be easily startled and require a quiet area. They also require a *minimum* of a 4 foot tank because they reach 12"-24" in length, usually around the 12"14" mark depending on how they are fed. Their native habitat is the rivers and streams of Southeast Asia so they would prefer a tank with nice wide open swimming areas but with more densely planted edges for hiding. Read up. They are not hard to care for when given the proper environment. Your sharks are scared shitless.

Z

darkruby

by darkruby

Yea, Z has got it.
I don't have a lot of information on particular types of fish and I tend to go off the "their all alike" basis. That's where I look at a situation and I asses what could cause the problem. If it's like what you said, I would either assume they do that out of stress, which can be from being scared, or they don't have enough room. But, when it comes to specifics, there are only a few fish I know.
Z has been an aquarist longer than I have and knows much more... Cudos to Z.

zambize

by zambize

LOL, I don't think so Ruby. I started this hobby in Jan-Feb of 2008. I just read like a fiend and tend to obsess when I get into a new hobby...lol.

Z

8 posts