Advice on small planted tank.

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

I have only kept one planted tank a few years back, I didnt have much luck with it. Now I have a 30 gal coldwater tank and a 10 gal tropical community tank. Both have only fake plants. I really want to try planted again. I am getting a 15 gal free from a friend. Any advice, comments, or recomendations would be great. Anything from filter, CO2, plant types, fish, gravel/sand, or nuitrients, I just dont know much in the way of living plants. Thanks in advance.

zambize

by zambize

I have one planted tank, a 10 gallon, and it was my first foray into live plants. It is doing well. I used Eco-complete substrate (I understand that it is important to use a substrate for plants), a T5 light, and I feed the plants once a week. The tank is doing great. I don't vacuum the bottom of the tank too often because I read that it can upset the plants and that the plants use the detritus for food. I tried CO2, but stopped it because the plants really overgrew in the small 10 gallon and they really do fine without it.

I was also careful to choose plants that are fairly hardy and easy to grow like vals and anubias. I can't remember the names of the other plants....good luck!

Zambize

2 posts