White worms on my glass canapy???

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

by milky648

I have white littel worms on my glass canapy . What are they? and why do i have them help...

zambize

by zambize

I have never seen such a thing, and I have some glass canopies. Is your glass top clean, meaning is there any leftover food bits on it? Do you see any insects around? Could be insect larvae.

Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Planaria worms. They're usually an indication of high nitrates or dissolved organics in the water column (and a wet canopy). Some steady water changes should see them gone...

milky648

by milky648

well ther is no way i can keep it dry ihave chcilids ther messy fish and i dont have nitrate in my tank couse i test it so mm ok ill try more water changes .

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

if nitrates are normal then its probably excess food settled into your gravel. Either be sure your fish are eating everything before it hits the gravel or do some heavy duty gravel vacuuming.

I wasn't implying that your canopy should be dry, just that we don't usually see planaria on dry glass, but they're there in the tank anyway...they just go to the glass to get oxygen I suppose. ;)

milky648

by milky648

oh ok sorry i wasent trying to be mean im just not understanding why ther worms ok ill do a better vacuming . thanks for your help

a70m1c

by a70m1c

i saw this once in my discus tank a few days after i added peat moss to the bottom of the tank. they went away by them selves after a week or so. i figured fish will eat them.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Are we talking about the tiny worms that look like a tiny hair, but you know its not because they wiggle?

I think these tiny worms are in just about any tank all the time. We just don't really see them unless the substrate gets disturbed. I know my community fish eat them if they see them. Fish constantly munch on little critters we don't see. My little 1/2" Ram will find something in the java moss, he is forever picking stuff out of it.

I think we see them in abundance when we don't do enough water changes, or not clean the substrate well enough. I had some fry in a small 2.5 gallon tank for a couple weeks. The food they didn't eat got gross FAST and there were worms all over the sides of this tank, even tho I cleaned it everyday. I think it had more to do with the chemicals being off in such a small tank. I know I had a Betta in it once with a mature filter sponge and the ammonia would spike everyday!

milky648

by milky648

wow thats wierd ya i dont know i only see them on top of my canapy lid thats where they chill and yes wigily white worms somtimes i see them floting in the tank and the fish do eat them .

milky648

by milky648

Doses everyone have thoes worsms????

18 posts • Page 1 of 2