Removing Sump from system ?

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Now that I am no longer running a reef setup, and just FOLWR I am going to remove the 20 gallon long sump from my system. I have a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum canisterfilter coming, and a Red Sea Prizm Deluze skimmer aswell. In my knowledge the sump is no-longer really needed. Any body have any impute on the idea ?

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

I believe that the canister filters are really just a detritus nitrate factory. sumps have worked better in my experience.

tangerine

by tangerine

i agree. sump also increase your water volume to help dilute bad stuff should anything untowards happen.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

We'll I've ordered a CPR hangon back 5 gallon refugium, and am going to use the hangon canister filter on my 20 gallon lonf freshwater tank. I also have a Red Sea Prizum Deluxe protein skimmer on the way.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

how much was that hangon refuge you bought??? i think im gunna get a 20 gal long aquarium n jus set it up higher than my tank and use gravity to push it back down... i still dont understand how you are supposed to get the same amount of flow going into the fuge as there is going out so there it doesnt run out of water or overflow with water.... btw ill 3rd the statement that canister filers are nitrate factories... i cleaned out mine, and within 2 days my nitrates dropped 10 ppm. Im going to drop in my new live rock sometime next week.... looks liek some towers of ancient coral :) nick take some pics

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Blue. Drill the tank. let me restate that. Have your refuge drilled. It will only fill as high as the hole.....the water will then go back into your main tank. :) piece of cake

nicholas542

by nicholas542

The hang on is made by CPR and I got it at Marine Depot for $ 220.00. The lighting for the fuge was extra. It holds 5 gallons, and is 25" X 5" X 19". I'm going to put some fuge mud in there, and fill it with reef rubble.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

sounds good man. You should have gotton the one with the skimmer built in. :)

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah the one with the skimmer was a little more spendy. I should be getting the fuge today I got a bag of crushed florida coral, and some small chunks of cured live rock to add. I have a Red Sea Prizm Deluze w/ surface skimmer coming shorty that was one reason i didn't get the one with the skimmer.

9 posts