Mono with popeye, please help.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Wow, I have not logged in for a while. I started school again and that wipes out most of my extra time...not to mention my recent incident with my killer cat that lasted 2 weeks! Anyone ever have a cat go nutz, and I mean really nutz! She hunted me throughout the house!

Anyway I have 2 Mono Sebae that I have converted to saltwater. All of my tank levels are great but I noticed that one of the Monos has one eye that is bulging and cloudy. I have done some research and need your opinion.

They say if both eyes are affected it is probably the result of tank conditions or infection, etc... However, if one eye is affected it is more likely to be caused by trauma to the eye such as a fight or a scratch. The monos are left alone so it is not fighting. A little over a week ago I took 2 of my mono argentus to my lfs to trade in. Catching these boogers took 45 min!!! They are fast little farts and hide under all of my rocks!! Anyway, I think this whole process may have spooked the sebaes and maybe one injured his eye.

The following link suggests not removing the fish from the aquarium if it is eye trauma. http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compld ... 053001.htm
How should I treat him? I am afraid removing him into a quarantine tank may cause more harm, and I cannot medicate my entire tank. Should I wait and hope it heals, which according to the link is a possibility, or should I put him into a QT?

Thanks guys!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

time

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah like puff said time and some ebsom salt helps with pop eye. plus its not expensive. I used it in my tank with my 6 line wrasse and his eye cleared up completly in two weeks. and i mean his eye was almost out of his head bad. just put maybe a tablespoon every 5 gallons of water you have twice a week. thats what I did......and it worked.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

This won't raise the salinity too high? well, a table spoon isn't much. I don't know much about epsom salt, but does it have healing properties that marine salt does not have?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

you know I have no clue.....to be honest. Guy at the lfs told me to throw a few tablespoons in.......I did......bam my little buddy was fixed. I run my salinity a little low anyways.....so it didnt really affect the salt in my water. It worked for my saltwater tank....maybe it will for your guys too.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Son of a gun. I think I may lose a Mono, if not both of them. First, one mono got pop eye and then the tank got hit with ich. I took quick measures to fight the ich and all of my fish but the monos were doing fine. I noticed the pop eye spread to the other eye and the second mono got it in one eye. I set up a quarantine tank last night for the monos. I am treating it with copper, melafix, and T.C. Tetracycline. I think I may be too late tho. One mono has and open wound on its side and is floating more than swimming. He is almost gone. The second mono has turned very pale and has not made any improvements.

When the ich initially spread, the monos got hit the worst. I think that is why they are having a tough time. I am not too happy about this as my monos were my favorite fish in the tank!!!

Tien6079

by Tien6079

It is official, I have lost one mono now...I hope it is not too late for the other.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

The other mono is having a tough time. I am debating if I should put him out of his misery. His eyes look a little better when I came home tonight, but the rest of him looked worse. His tail is probably 60% rotted away and most of it happened just today. He was barely swimming when I got home and I noticed the water was really red. I did not find any open wounds or sores, but I think he may be bleeding internally.

My monos were hit the hardest with ich. I put them into a QT when they didnt get better and the other fish in the main tank were doing ok. I wonder why they did not get better. I used medication and copper to no avail. Any thoughts?

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Anyone there? Anyway, I lost the second mono and the powder brown tang. I am getting really frustrated. The tang was fine last night then all of the sudden I get home from work today and he dies within 5 minutes. He had open sores that literally developed overnight. He has not been suffering from aggression either. Who knows...

9 posts