Foxface acting really weird!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

I just got home from college and noticed that my foxface rabbit fish is acting really weird. He keeps on getting right in front of my powerhead and I guess just trying to swim against the current that it is making. I looked closer at him (I dont know if you can see this in the picture) but he also has white bumps on him. He isnt rubbing up against anything and he is eating fine. So I dont think it is ich, the spots are larger than the sand like particle of ich. he bumps kind of look like if you havent shaved your face in a day. (I know thats weird but that is the closest thing I can think of) His breathing has also increased a little, but I think that has to do with him swimming up against the current. He has been in this tank for almost 12 months now, with no problems and nothing has changed in the tank since Ive gotten it. Any ideas?

http://s558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/littlej2455/

littlej2455

by littlej2455

To see the pictures just click on the angel fish and the foxface will pop up.

PS- I have a garlic treatment that i could put in the food. Will this garlic do anything even though he might not have ich? Or to the other fish that dont have ich?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ICH. quarentine him. asap. keep him well fed and comfortable. while in quarentine you can treat with copper.......but not in your actual tank....I wouldnt advise it. well....I wouldnt do it personally. If you dont have a quarntine........well.....you can try to dose your whole tank but its going to be painfull. Large water changes and stress to other fish. Ick treatment besides copper will literally burn the ICH but it will also burn the fishes gills......so dont overdose. If at all possible....I would quarentine for up to 6 weeks.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

do you think standing right in front of the powerhead is a substitute from rubbing against things? He is breathing fast normally too. I dont have an extra tank either.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You have options.... leave him there and treat him with copper.....this will cure him. BUT copper leaches into the seams of the aquarium...sand......and rock.......So if you do that.....you wont be able to add inverts or corals ever.....It will take a LONG time for it to get out. Your going to have to treat your whole tank.....unless your buds with your lfs and maybe they can help you out. but if you dose your whole tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... ndor~.html

littlej2455

by littlej2455

it is defiantly ich, the white spots are more noticeable now. Unfortunately I can not go to my ifs until tomorrow so I hope that little guy doesn't drop any of the parasites off into my sand and others catch it. Is there anything I can do now? I already have my temperature at 80, I dont know if i should raise it any higher...

littlej2455

by littlej2455

Ok, so I have my chocolate chip starfish to my LFS for a couple of weeks. I am treating my whole tank with copper, just incase any of the other fish have ich. I have been watching my foxface and mking sure he is eating. If he is, it is very little. I have a garlic solution I have had bought a long time ago, just in case something like this would happen. How do you recommend preparing frozen mysis scrimp using the garlic?

7 posts