asking for advice

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Twigboy8888

asking for advice

by Twigboy8888

im thinking of getting a 125 gal tank to do my first salt water tank any sugestons on what type of equipment ill need and waht would you all recomend for fish to put in to it

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ohh baby! Im at work so i cant go all out with the info but......You will certainly benefit if you get an overflow drilled into your tank. Your life will be a lot easier. Get a nice sump and a nice refuge. An ASM skimmer would be optimal and some filter socks and you would be good equipment wise. A few 250watt metal halides and your lighting would rock. Maybe add some T5 supplement lights. :) Ask any questions you have. You have a dream build ahead of you many of us would love to have. More than anything. REASEARCH!!!!

Twigboy8888

by Twigboy8888

thank you for all the good info and ive already started to research fis and coral that are easy to take care of i may be back once i get it and mabey youll have some time to exsplane more in depth your sugestions

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok ok let me put some info into this.... first of all what kind of budget are you looking at?? second of all idk if u already put this but are you wanting a reef tank?? def get a nice big sump and fuge so u can get a big skimmer, i agree that MH would be a good choice.... personally with a tank that big i would love to make one big reef with LOTS of little fish :)) so fun to watch my friend so fun....... i would also reccommend the fluval fx5, yes its a 300 $ canister filter but i got mine brand new off ebay for 200, works like no other must i say..... rated for a 400 gallon tank... im running it on my 70 :)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Do realize too that Blue loves his tank. :) and its a good thing. But if you plan on having something that you can lay back and not have to service once a week.....you dont want a canister. Im not saying they arent good.......they are. But they tend to need a little more cleaning. If your going with a reef, your going to want a ton of flow. two Korlia 4's would be optimal on a tank that size. It may sound like overkill and some people on here will say it is........but I have 700gph in my 29 gallon tank.....so you would be fine. Your going to want to have a ton of live rock.......4-7 bucks a pound. and you want to match your tank size in weight. so your going to need around 100-150 lbs. depending on what you get. Thats the expensive part. metal halides are a must.....or T5's but you will enjoy the halides more. They give a nice shimmer. You want a high quality skimmer. If you have a good enough skimmer.........you dont need any other filter. Seariously. If your on a budget......start with a Fish Only With Live Rock. it will save you some cash now.....and you can turn it into a reef without a problem. The skimmer link is at the bottom.... I know it says its rated for 450 gallons.......but if you plan on ever keeping SPS corals.....that skimmer will help keep your growth at insane rates. I would seariously consider two 250 watt metal halide lights........They will get great penetration in a tank as deep as yours. Okay I have to be at work in 6 hours........I will post more tomorrow.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... arine_(ASM)~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~AG1195~idCategory~FIPSISVSOT.html

Twigboy8888

by Twigboy8888

im wanting to do a reef tank with lots off little fish and right now im trying to find all the things ill need to get it up and running and i plan on haveing it all found and paid for by the end of next year so i can set it up and then worry about the live rock and sand and fish

newbie916

by newbie916

Make sure when you start your tank you only have live rock and sand for at least 3 months. Do the normal photo period with your lights and regular water changes. You need to make sure you cure your tank and get the water stablized before you add animals. It's a fun and addicting hobby... I only have a 95 gallon with a 35 gallon gallon refugium and I've spent at least $4000 over the last year.

You could start off much cheaper than that if you shop around. Check out craigslist to get your live rock. I personally like getting new lights, tank, and pumps. Then you could build it the way you want it. Just ask alot of questions and these guys will help you. Welcome to the hobby:)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah true that... i need to clean out my filter today but last time i did it i lost about 30 gallons of water in about... umm.... 10 seconds... literally........ on the other hand i gotta do a water change on my live rock thats cycling as well....... fihsboy i think your link f'd up my computer... i had to read your comment like it was a typewritter hahaha AND THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT OF ALL.... TAKE PICTURES FROM THE BEGINNING. WE AQUARISTS HERE AT RMFT LOVE PICS!!!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You arent kidding! Document it! You will be glad you did!

asking for advice

9 posts