Protein skimmer is acting up

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I treated my tank with the Chemi-Clean Red Slime remover last Sunday and my protein skimmer has been overflowing ever since. I changed out 20% of my water after 48 hours and left my protein skimmer off for an additional 24 hrs as instructed. However, everytime I turn it back on it overflows. I even adjust the valves and it still does it. I did another 15% water change this morning trying to get more of the Chemi-Clean out of the system, but it's still overflowing.

Should I just let it run and overflow for a few days? By the way, my tank looks great!!!

Thx

tangerine

by tangerine

have heard of many instances of such incidents. most of the guys i know off that have experience this,just did a couple of water changes and let the skimmer do the rest.
usually it will stop overflowing after a few days.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

any tap water conditioner will do that. It sucks. so the moral of this story is.......use RO/DI water and it wont effect your protein skimmer. I used to use prime......and after I did a water change EVERYTIME there was an overflow and water all over my floor. thats why I hated my skimmer. The skimmer I have now wont do that....which is freakin great!

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, I only use RO/DI water which my LFS offers for free. I've changed 40 gallons in the last week on my 95 gallon with 35 gallon fuge. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. Everything is healthy as can be, so I'm not really too worried about it. I'll just do 10% water changes every week until it starts working again.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you give it maybe three days....it will settle out. Thats about how long it used to take mine. of course I used to leave mine on......but I had a control valve on the pump.....so it cant pump but a little bit......still giving crazy oxygen to the water but not enough for it to overflow.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

yeah my remora acted rediculously for id say around 2 weeks, i emailed aquac and pretty much the seachem reef buffer that i used to get my ph up, using fresh RO water to mix it, was the culprit. That was the only solution we could come up with so im sure tap water would do the same thing. Skimmer works so good that its scary now

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

everyone is correct dude. let it play its roll. its just getting rid of the shit. i actually drilled na hole in my collecting cup and put some air line to a bucket, that way you get months without emptying it. it just drains to a bucket without worrying about the discharge making its way to the tank again

fihsboy

by fihsboy

BLUE!!!!! Im glad your skimmer is better. I was getting worried that I reccomended it. haha. Mine breaks in a little more each day.....and its starting to pull out a black slime from my tank. Used to always be a foamy brown.......and now its getting thicker and thicker. Glad everything is working out for everyone

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ha yeah man i was kinda worried myself...... i think that last session of pulling stuff out worked so good that it got most of it out of my tank, its been a few days and the water looks like a light pee color... oh btw i bought about 8 more lbs of live rock, dont let that fool you though its 4 descent size pieces, it looks alot like the fiji fancy branch rock on liveaquaria. Im goin to make a bridge with it too so the fish can swim under it, prolly cure it for another 2 weeks though. looks really nice

newbie916

by newbie916

Thanks guys, I turned the skimmer on this morning and emptied it a few times. It's working perfect now. It took 7 days for my skimmer to stop acting up. It was worth it though. My tank is redslime free and crystal clear.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2