55 Is Done *WHEW!* What a chore! Pic

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Am I the only one who cannot sleep the first day you set up a tank? I keep having visions of it exploding if I go to bed!! It didn't explode in the tub last night, so no reason why it will tonight. Right?!? RIGHT?!? :-O

Well, I don't like the tank so much. The top really sucks! I ended up just using the light strip from the 30. The lights that came with it don't even hardly reach the bottom! Plus you cannot fill it full, you have to leave the top 2" or more empty because of the way its made.

The fish LOVE it tho, so for that reason alone I like it for now. Its on the floor right now. I actually like them that way because I can lay on the floor and watch them for hours! I have my 20 gallon Ram tank that way (on the bottom of my entertainment stand) and that is what I do. Its easier for me to clean too because I have bad back problems and I can just sit on the floor instead of bending over the tank. Eventually I want to get a nice stand with a canopy tho. Actually thinking when I do use it as a room divider. I am going to start saving and try to find a good deal on Craigslist. I moved them just in time too, they were really starting to fight!

So, the fish are going nuts LOL. The guys are gettin *jiggy* and the girls are swimming all over. The Acei are zooming from one end to the other. I watched a couple stop right were the old tank ended, like built in stops LOL. I set it up where one end is dense rock and the other is open with a few smaller rocks. My Victorian that used to hide all day has claimed the empty end :-)

So, here some pics. The first few are the mess of the change over and the last is the final setup. The water is still very cloudy, but should clear up soon. For some reason my camera takes awesome close-ups but can't focus for full tank pics, so weird.

Just hit reply to see the pics.
34e6f-PICT0007.JPG
3b093-PICT0006.JPG
822cf-PICT0005.JPG
035d3-100_6992.JPG

dizzcat

by dizzcat

LOL one of my Red Zebra females has discovered that she can really stretch her fins! She is zooming back and forth at top speed. I am trying to watch TV, but keep pausing it cuz she is distracting me so much! Thank goodness for Tvo huh? They are all out in the open now after exploring the new rock setup. This tank is not higher than the old one, I think its the length that is making them come out like they are. Up and down, back and forth :-) Even my dominant male, the Electric Yellow, who rarely leaves his cave is out playing.

The water is clearing very nicely now. I saved half the water from the other tank and used all the sand and filters. So its nice and cycled already :-)

kelbri

by kelbri

Looks great. Can't wait to get our bigger tank one day. With a move coming up soon though, we'll be waiting till that happens. Love to see fish exploring new accomodations. Too much fun.

jweb

by jweb

I like it. The round edges are cool. They kinda give it a smooth look, and different dimension. You should get a tall stand. The 55 I recently bought second hand and setup has a display stand. I have to stand on my tippy toes to reach the bottom of the tank.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Its funny you say that J, I was actually going to have my friend build me a stand and have it be SHORTER than the average ones LOL. See, I am only 5'4" and I could barely reach the bottom of my 30 gallon on its stand. This one is a couple inches taller so no way I could reach the bottom without standing on a chair. Then knowing my luck I would fall in hahahaha.

Its still holding up real well. I just don't like the top setup so much. I am either going to save and get a new glass one or a new full hood for it. The lights that came with it, one does not work (I know nothing electrical) and the other takes a small 15 watt bulb. On that side you can barely see to the bottom and my dark fish disappear. If I use the lights it is made for I would only have 2 -15w bulbs to light the entire 55 gallons.

My little Victorian, a Flameback (still trying to figure out what exactly he is) used to hide in the back corner so much I forgot I had him at times. He has claimed the open area spot on the left side and is looking so pretty. :-)

I am going to do what Miami suggested and build on my groups, 4 of each, a male Acei (if I can find one!) another female Red Zebra, I am looking for an OB, they are so pretty, and another Yellow. Then get a couple odd ones, like I have 1 Demasoni and 1 Victorian so far. I REALLY want a Hongi, or Red Top Zebra, but I have yet to find one. I am even throwing the idea around of getting a small group of Tiger Barbs as dithers.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Very nice dizz! I like the way you've arranged the decor; very pleasing to the eye!

( And yes...those stands can be an issue us short folk! )

kelbri

by kelbri

Then again, at 6'4", I find it hard to reach the bottom because I have to bend over so far ;-)

jweb

by jweb

yea the top of my tank comes up to my armpit and im 5'9". Oh if you get a short stand, you could probably buy a stool, like a drum set stool, and sit on it whenever you clean your tank and do whatever else to it. It would probably take some pressure off of your back.

8 posts