live rock

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

arthur

live rock

by arthur

which type of live rock looks best im leaning toward caribbean live rock to fill up my new tank but not sure and looking for a place to get it cheap plz help.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

internet sales or lfs

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Live rock is great but if you don't acclimate it right it can be a killer. To acclimate live rock is to get all the bad bacteria and organisms off it. Set up a tank 2 gallons of water per 1 pound of live rock. Acclimate it for 2 weeks and longer if you want it extra clean do it longer. It is a great thing if you do it right.

Good Luck

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

to elaborate on this - -if your going to cure your own LR you should have a power head in the ank or bucket as well and do daily water changes for the 2-3 week time period - another option is to buy it already cured - and yet an even better otion in my opinion is to buy whatever rock you like {carabean is pretty, check out some tonga rock too} put it "uncured" into your new set up do 10% water changes and regular filter maint for 4-8 weeks and let the live rock cycle your tank - -my first set up was done with fish - - bad expierience - -I TOTALLY support fishless cycles from now on - -plus it gives you something to do while the tank is cycleing - -good luck and welcome -Snowboss

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

forget doing the cycle cure in the tank if you already have fish though - -bad for the lil fellas - -sorry forgot to mention that

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

the thing you need to worry about is dieoff and hitchchikers. but if you quarintine that will not be a issue. and a month is should be long enough.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... pCatId=401

hers some tonga LR - - pretty cool looking stuff - -i think im going to use it inmy next tank - - lots of caves and structures to swim through

live rock

8 posts