Background paint questions ASAP Please!

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OK, so I painted the back of my tank black. I used flat black acrylic paint. It has been fully dry for 3 hours now. How long do I have to wait before I can do my tank change over? Can I do it now that the paint is dry?

Thanks!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

You did paint the outside of the tank right ? haha, i hope so..
Any way go ahead and start the switch,try not to splash the paint with water if you can..

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

shoot i painted hte outside of my glass with a light coat the first day, waited 24 hours befroe applying a second coat then another 24 hours before i put water in mine, haha i can see her painting the inside of the tank though

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I did NOT paint the inside smart-asses LOL

I did worry about my cats walking across it and making pretty black paw prints all over the apt tho. Didn't happen :-) I did one coat, and that dried within 1/2 hour! Then did another. It only took 2 coats. Good thing too cuz I bought a small can and only got 2 coats out of it. It is completely dry now.

OK then I will start the switch :-) Going to use everything that is in the 30 gallon, nothing new except the tank. Its time too, because the past couple days the dominant of each species has really started to harass the others. They are really crowded in there. Tanks always look so huge and empty when you first start out with little 1-2" cichlids. Now they look like they are stacked on top of each other!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Then your good....unless your going to do another coat...then wait. Dont rush. when you rush bad stuff happens.....Move a few fish at a time. it will help with your bioload.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Lmao,..FYI.. There is a marine safe spraypaint (when cured) its called Krylon..its nice for hiding plumbing ect,.. oh yea pics please=)

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Man... this is a PITA! Everything is out but the fish and sand. Next I will put the fish in a bucket, collect the sand (if I can find another bucket!) and move the 30 gallon. The 55 is going on the floor where the 30 is now because its the only place I can put it.

kelbri

by kelbri

One thing I read is, if you have anything putting pressure on the back of the tank from the outside (such as a HOB filter), put some kind of pad between the equipment and the tank. This helps to eliminate scratches in the paint. Can't wait to see what you'll put together.

8 posts