where to buy pure ammonia

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

5ive

by 5ive

im want to do a fishless cycle for my 20 gallon tank but i cannot find clear/pure ammonia anywhere! ive looked at pet stores, Home Depot, and Safeway..anyone know where I could buy it? Thanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

urin........is pure ammonia......just sayin.......why dont you just plop a dead shrimp in there or something.

jweb

by jweb

urine isn't pure ammonia, but you definately can piss in the tank to start the cycle. However, like fihsboy says, frozen shrimp works just fine. Even fish flakes or fish food will work.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

if you were to buy ammonia at like walmart....its got other things that may hurt fish....and you probably wont find PURE ammonia anywhere. maybe a lab supply company.....but if you buy pure.....your not going to get there as fast I wouldnt think......in all honesty.....food and shrimp etc etc has a shit ton of bacteria on it.....which is what is truely beneficial when starting your tank. without your bacteria.......nothing happens. Its the base of all life in your tank. So I dont know that I would buy pure.......

tomargir

by tomargir

I am a HUGE fan of Ammonia cycling. The best place to find 100% pure ammonia is a pharmacy.
DON'T let fish, shrimp or other organisms rot into the tank to get it cycled. You will most likely introduce harmful bacteria that will make your life later on a lot more difficult.
And note that most people use way to high concentrations of ammonia for the fishless cycle. Most people recommend using 5mg/L for the cycling process. I found that this is way too high. I recommend using between 1-2mg/L for the cycling process.
That also depends on the number of fish you want to keep. For instance if you want to fully load the tank immediately after the cycling process then go for a higher concentration of ammonia. However if you choose to cycle with 5mg/L and then stock with only a fish or too, the huge numbers of bacterial colonies created by the high ammounts of ammonia during cycling will simply not have enough ammonia to feed on after the cycling is over.
So a rule of thumb. More fish --> Higher ammonia cycling

And if you do fishless cycling there is absolutely no need to wait until you introduce your fish. You can fully stock the tank IMMEDIATELY.

jweb

by jweb

Well, immediately after your levels drop to 0 and stay there. Unless that is what you implied, in that case I was just pointing that out for everyone to see.

tomargir

by tomargir

Well, yes of course. However, the drop of ammonia/nitrite after a spike, indicates that nitrobacter and nitrosomonas cultures are doing their work. So once their concentrations drop to 0 they will actually stuck to 0. Unless you do something terribly wrong to kill the bacterial colonies (if you wash your biomedia with chlorinated water for instance).

fishkiller

Re: where to buy pure ammonia

by fishkiller

Can i just urinate a little into the tank to get the amonia levels to spike?

andrecarneiro

Re: where to buy pure ammonia

by andrecarneiro

i feel sorry for your fish ... having to swim around in ur piss.... there are products nowadays readily available in pet stores that will start the cycle process... you can pick them up for under 10 $.....

9 posts