questions about driftwood

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cknittle

by cknittle

i recently purchased some driftwood from a LFS and have been soaking it for the past 5 days or so..... after each day i change the water because it keeps turning brown... i know that its because of the tannins in the wood but when will it stop

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

Boiling it speeds it up. And if you put it in the tank, putting a carbon pad in your filter takes tannis out

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Ditto burton...boil it, or just pop it in the tank. The fish don't mind the tannins. Carbon is great; but only if you don't have plants because it strips the fertilisers from the water too.

My tank is 8 months old and starting to sparkle now, but it took that long (I didn't boil it coz I don't mind the dark look). And you dont want your wood in a bucket for 8 months.

a70m1c

by a70m1c

I got a 3 foot long bit of driftwood out of the creek, pretty heavy too! it wasent water logged, just wet from rain, this took 3 weeks soaking in a babypool before i poured boiling water over it and put it my discus tank.

safe bet is to keep changing the water untill the water is clear, do the right thing now it well save you extra water changes later.

zambize

by zambize

I usually boil my driftwood. It takes about 5-7 times and the water is clear enough that it doesn't turn the water tea color anymore. At least not enough to really matter.

Z

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I do not have drift wood, but a possible thing to do is to try a filter on a side of a bucket or something to filter with water circulation should help speed it up.

irondan

by irondan

if you bought the wood at an lfs, then it is likely malaysian driftwood or mopani. did it sink right away? if it is either, it will take years to release all tannins. i have had 3 pieces in my american tank for 2 years and they still leach. tannins (tannic acid) is good for the fish, sort of like a natural antibiotic.

cknittle

by cknittle

yeah, i got three small peices from the LFS. all 3 sank right away.... i dont have a big enought pot to boil them in so thats not really an option... but thanks for the info about the carbon!! hopefully that helps. im getting ready to set the tank up here anyday now, just waiting for the stand to be completed.... then i start the cycling process. this ismy first good sized tank so if anybody has any suggestions that would be awesome! thanks alot!

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I left mine out in a bucket with water for two weeks changing the water every couple of days. Leaving it outside might not really be an option for you as it is winter, so I would have done the same thing but kept it inside.

zambize

by zambize

I suggest leaving your bucket indoors because outdoors the bucket of water/wood may attract unwanted organisms. Also, I don't know what you're planning, but I'd like to suggest fishless cycling. Many people consider cycling with fish to be a cruel and unnecessary practice.

Z

17 posts • Page 1 of 2