Cycling water with edible/live seafood market fish?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I was wondering whether anyone has every put a fish from a meat market into their freshwater aquarium.

I was at a asian meat/fish market and they have many fish of small to huge size live in their tanks.

I wonder if anyone ever looked at these fish up close to see if they have a lot infections or parasites on them. To see if it could infect your aquarium.

I am thinking its good for cycling because the fish was meant to be eaten and it could create a lot of poop.

zambize

by zambize

Why would the fact that it was meant to be eaten make it good for cycling?

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

because it may die during the process of cycling. So my point was that it was meant to die anyway on the kitchen table.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

That doesn't make any sense at all.....!

And what if it doesn't die...do u still want the fish?

Why put the fish through it?

Live fish don't start off a cycling process.........the food you feed it may though.

...a wee sprinkle of fish food now and then will get the cycling process happening fine...using edible fish isn't going to achieve anything.....

Stupid idea matey....sorry...

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

ok ok, I don't mean anything to hurt the fish more than it would.

If it did not die, I would eat it myself of course. As far as live fish starting the process, I always read that they help cycling process because they poop a lot.

zambize

by zambize

If I were the fish, I would rather die a quick death and be eaten on the table rather than spend a prolonged period of time painfully exposed to ammonia and nitrites to cycle your tank. I agree with cedricandcandy, stupid idea.

Z

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Well, it is a known practice to cycle aquariums with fish.

zambize

by zambize

And we're learning that there are better ways to cycle an aquarium.

When I was a kid, it was a known practice to spank your kid with a leather belt, but that's not done as much anymore, and if it is, Child Protective Services will get involved now. "Known practice" is meaningless. It's really hard to defend abuse, no matter how long it's been done that way.

Z

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Ok, Zambize, you made your point. I just disagree since fish that are eaten could be cought using a painful hook if its fishing with a rod, and also they probably suffer a lot when removed from the ocean/river when they suffocate, so its probably hard to tell which death hurts them the most. I dont see how we can know it.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think a lot of people use a plain old piece of frozen shrimp. As it decays it releases ammonia over a long period of time. Though I'm not sure if thats limited to S/W. Logically it would work just as well in F/W.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2