CO2 and air bubbles.... compatible?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

darkruby

by darkruby

Hey guys, its been a while.
I Have started new with my tank and I know what it will be. A ten gallon with two Pea Puffer (aka: Dwarf Puffer, Spotted Puffer). I will have a lot of plants, all being slow growers and having large leaves to cope with the Pea Puffers agressive attitude. I am also thinking of putting a piece of wood to act as a cavern, but I am not sure yet. The substrate will be that Flourite mix for the plants. The filter is that new Whisper filter, it is quite!

Now, the original question. I have a bubble system in place because what makes the Whisper filter so quiet is that it has no water agitation what so ever. Now the problem is that CO2 is displaced by a lot of water agitation. Should I use a valve to decrease the bubble output? I will put a simple CO2 canister in there, but will it be enough?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

From what I understand, you are suppose to turn off the air during the day and turn it on at night.

The plants will make the oxygen during the day, plus the air bubbles will just push the CO2 right out of the tank before it can do anything. Plants "sleep" at night and do not use up the CO2 or produce oxygen, so you need the air running at night.

I have learned this the past week with all my questions. I am setting up CO2 and am new to this too.

darkruby

by darkruby

That sounds excelent! Thanks for the feed back! Now, do I need an undergravel heater?I wouldnt think so for it is very shallow, but still...

aaronnorth

by aaronnorth

under gravel heaters are pointless, they do not help with plant growth, they will gow perfectly fine without them ;)

darkruby

by darkruby

Ok, sounds good so far. Now, I was looking at some CO2 machines and I was wonderingm if there are some that do not need to have canister replacements.

aaronnorth

by aaronnorth

all pressurized systems need a replacement cannister, unless it is a fermentation kit but that still needs the mixture changing!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I just set up this kit. I like it really well so far. You mix up the yeast mixture. It uses no pressurized system. I love the diffuser, it spins a bunch of microscopic bubbles into the tank. Its a great little system for the smaller tank :-)

This is what I have: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... fermentset

darkruby

by darkruby

This is good looking. I was looking at the more expensive models and I found one for about 120.00. The reason I like it so much is because it has a timer so that it can shut off when the lights are out.

8 posts