Need some hints in creating setting up a substrate bottom

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hi I need some help because I am creating a layer of substrate in my new 30 gallon ttank.

I bought a bag of eco-complete black substrate. I put that on the bottom because the granules are slightly bigger than my other bag's granules. On the top I want to put a big bag of ADA Amazon black substrate.

I can't afford power-sand or such things.

After I pour the Amazon black soil on top, shold I add a layer of regular rocks or sand? will it help besides helping create a look?

Thanks

zambize

by zambize

Why not just use the Eco-Complete? Personally, I love the way it looks. I have it in a planted 10 gallon tank and I'm about to use it in a 55 gallon tank. I think it looks great, very natural.

Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Unfortunately in most cases the larger granules of w/e will end up on top, it could take years but it happens, unless your sandy substrates are deeper than 3" and become extremely compact and undisturbed which is a good way to create anaerobic pockets (not cool). So if you don't mind the idea that the eco complete may end up getting mixed at the surface with your ADA stuff, I would stick with the black theme and go with another bag of one or the other, or like Z says return the ADA stuff and just get more eco-complete. Most plants don't -need- more than 3" anyway except tall growing deep rooters like lilys and larger swords.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Thanks a lot. With the two bags of the substrate I mentioned I only have 2 inches of substrate all over. Its a 12 by 30 area.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Hello again I need some more experienced advice from you guys.

So the water has been pourded over the soil. Now the water is still somewhat cloudy after 3 days. Should wait and it will be clear later? Or should I pump out the cloudy water and refill it? Or should I put a filter in to filter it? What is supposed to happen or be done at this stage.

I dont intend to put fish in for at least 3 weeks but still want to have a clear tank .

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'd probably just do water changes and vacuum very near the substrate to pick up some of the larger floating particulates that may have settled until most of the cloudiness has cleared, then continue with filtration...maybe get some sort of polishing floss for media and plan to change that out after the water has cleared.

If you leave the settled stuff on the surface of your substrate its gonna get kicked up by fish and or water movement and sent into the filter which will just mean you'll have to maintain it and mess with it more later when you should be leaving it alone while the tank cycles.

zambize

by zambize

I just filter mine and rinse out the filter every 12 hours or so. Mine is usually clear pretty fast. I'm doing one right now.

Z

adehaan86

by adehaan86

adding substrate is hard, It took me almost 2 weeks to get my cleared but it was like floating mud all over the power heads heater and filter. What I would do is like zambize said, clear filter at least a couple times a week and just wait for it to settle, if your filter is any good it should take all particles (aka floating substrate) and it should make it's way to the filter. I added a power head to help stir it up a little faster but kept it close to the top of the tank so it does not stir up the substrate it's self.

Hope this helps

zambize

by zambize

Mine clears in 48 hours. I rinse the substrate first using a colander. Then the water usually only a bit cloudy. The filter clears that up in about 48 hours. If you rinse it first, you shouldn't get the floating muck. If you do get the floating muck, use a fish net and scoop it out.

Z

9 posts