rio 1700(nah) mag 5 (nah) mag 7 (nah) mag 9???

33 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah.....so my first pump was a rio 1700.....not enough umph.....went to a mag 5.......still not enough. lfs said mag 7 would be PLENTY......yeah that was a freakin joke. I just bought a mag 9.....hopefully that will be enough. looking for a 30-40x turnover. should do it nicely. no powerheads anymore......just a scwd return and a overflow rated for 1200 gph. its coming together. Anyone need a mag 7? or 5? or rio? I have all three sitting here......

fihsboy

by fihsboy

btw.......lfs says im not going to be able to keep the sand in my tank..........:) Im going to prove them wrong. They wouldnt order me one because it would be (too much) told them I had two koralia 2's in my 29.......whats a mag 9.5 to that?.......1200 gph plus 300gph return vs a 9.5 giving me around 700 in a changing current... :) damn its going to be nice to hook it up!

jweb

by jweb

i got a mag 5 in my 58 and it seems to work fine. it pushes through two heads too. It's a little weak but it works fine to me. I will eventually get a more powerful pump, but the mag 5 is what it came with so im sticking with it for now. what are you selling the mag 7 for? how many gph is that?

I don't see why you but stuff from your lfs. they must have good prices or you cant stand to order stuff haha. i buy mostly everything online because i save A LOT of money. the lfs's around here try to rape you with their prices.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

well I bought the mag 5 and 7 from the lfs. the 7 pushes 700 gph but the head is a little better.......paid 80 for it. bought the 9.5 on ebay for $72....so i might just return my 7. thing I just hardlined my tank......so that pulls a little bit of juice....plus I have a scwd which pulls even more. if I were to rid those....it wouldnt be a problem. on melevs reef......he has a 7 on a close loop.....and a 5 for the return.....which is way more than what I will have.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

awakii pump man .................lol you could blow rock ut of the tank with one of them ................im going to run 2 of them on my 150 wall tank {yeah finally settled on a size, lol}

I'll need the awakii pumps because I'll be pushing a 15 foot head with 1 1/14 pipeing so i need the umph to keep the flow i want ..................im like you fishboy, i love crazy amounts of flow .................im running 700 GPH in a 20 gallon right now plus a nano Korilla power head and that amount is questionable to me

LMAO i wanna see fish pinned to the glass man ............hahahahaha

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

hummm..... well i was gunna get a 3 but aparently that went out the window, what size should i get? I dont really want water doing tornadoes in my circular tank i jus want kiind of a raceway on the bowfront part so like .... yall have them... what do you think?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

dang..the most I got going in my 16gal at once was 470gph and that was temporary. lol I hope you have a nice spatula at the ready for your perculas boss. Perhaps your clowns will evolve into a new species of flounder from being pinned to the glass. lol

fihsboy

by fihsboy

lmao. blue you can get any type of return you want. do realize that what I am doing is getting rid of powerheads completly. I have a return pump.....thats it. it makes waves and all that fun stuff. so im replacing something thats giving off 600 gph. I have to at least match that. With presure head a 3 would give you probably 150-200gph. if you have a refuge it would be fine. you want slow flow in that. but if you have a traditonal sump you want some more turnover. im diveriting some into my refuge with a closing valve.....all the rest goes right back to the pump. Im going to take pics today......its like having a closed loop with a refuge incorporated.......and its not closed. ill take pics later today. :)

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok well waht do yall think about putting like a 3 or a 4 in the top right of my tank so that it goes with teh same flow as my outlet from my fx5, then mayb puttin a 2 in the bottom left of the other side...???

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Koralias? You would be okay with two koralia 2's. Thats 1200 gph. if you want a storm like Boss and I like......get two 3's then you will be in business. :) I wouldnt use a magdrive as a powerhead. Im using them as one....because it have the scwd.....which will give me the waves. :)

33 posts • Page 1 of 4