make up your mind!!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kelbri

make up your mind!!!

by kelbri

That's what I'm telling myself right now. Everytime I turn around, I change my mind. I want it all now, and don't want to wait, lol... Last week I wanted to turn my 29g into an african cichlid tank. Nothing big, but something that I could have one type in and hopefully get some babies out of. This week, I want a sw tank. Again, nothing big, just my 29g FOWLR setup. Just a couple of Perc Clowns.

So I am trying to figure out what I would need. I don't want an elaborate setup, sump, refuge, skimmers, coral, polips and such, just a couple of fish hanging out. Some Nemo's for my son. What is kind of the bare minimum setup that I would need for my fish to thrive, not just survive? My 29g is a "tank in a box" from PetSmart. Top Fin. Has a HOB filter, 100w heater and hood with light. Is this ok for a sw setup, or is there more that I would have to have? In all my research, as far as I can tell, this would do it for me. Would I NEED live rock? I would like to have it, but if it makes my setup require more, such as a protien skimmer etc, then I might pass on it for now. As with anything though, this would definitly be a work in progress.

I know that "bigger is better" with saltwater. And believe me, I would love to have at least a 55g setup, but this is what we have, and would liketo make due. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated. I love this forum, and have read the articles on both sw and fw many times over, but none really mention the bare minimums. Just want to do my homework before I make my final decision. Thanks in advance everyone.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

all you really need is a big filter and a heater......you could get away with that. I ran an aqua clear 70 and a powerhead and heater for 6 months..fine. just watch your feedings. if your going to let your son feed.....get a protein skimmer rated for around 70 gallons. remoras are nice and compact HOB. aquaclear is a nice compact HOB and a jagar heater works great.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

If you wanted a FOWLR(Fish Only With Live Rock), you would need live rock. But you could have any rock you wanted in a FO, but depending on your water parameters it might be a good idea to have rock that naturally buffer the water.

How big is the HOB filter?? And is the heater OK in SW(it should say on the box).

Im just getting into SW with a 28g. I understand that I should start with a FOWLR then once more experienced add corals. I bought a nice 130W light, superskimmer 65, and am getting a better heater and powerheads, none being neccessary for a FOWLR(except the heater), im just preparing for corals.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

burgerking.......im going to preach this to you....with that skimmer.......DO NOT use prime or a water conditioner......it will overflow and you will have a royal mess. I had one.....they skim great.......pay attention to it and it will be great.....underskim dont overskim.....shoot for a nice dry froth....if you dont you may come home to a wet floor. I did plenty of times, its why I switched. I havent ran one on my tank for the past three weeks......and its running great.....but be careful with the superskimmer. Its a badass skimmer......but when its full.......its full.

kelbri

by kelbri

Yeah, the heater is good for sw or fw it says. As for the HOB filter, it is a Top Fin 30. Too small? It has an adjustable flow rate on it which I like. We also have a 5g tank with guppies in it, and the HOB on there doesn't have an adjustable flow. It doesn't even tell me a size on the filter.

jweb

by jweb

I would get a big aquaclear (like the largest or second to largest), they are the best for HOB SW filters. You can even mod them in many ways down the road. Just remember, when you go to clean your filter use the same filter sponge and do not rinse it in tap water. Use tank water to rinse. Also, buy the biggest salt mix you can get because you'll need it down the road, and it'll save you some money buying in bulk. I bought a 150 gallon mix (5 gallon bucket) for $39.99 and it came with a free XL t-shirt.

Oh, and honestly, if you think you are going to want it down the road, go ahead and buy it, sometimes you can get deals for free shipping on order totals over a certain price. I always look for the best deals. When I buy online from drsfosterandsmith.com i always will add even the little stuff like fish nets and crap, because it is soo much cheaper and they tell you how much more you can add before you increase the shipping costs.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i ran my 20 gallon long tank with an aquaclear 110 {payed 60.00 bucks for it} a redsea prizm skimmer {bout 100 bucks} i know some people don't like em but it is a great skimmer, its HOB as well and a korilia nano power head ...........

i do have live sand and live rock and now i am actually running
without a skimmer as the the rock and sand have become natural filtration

i have switched to a wet/dry system also

look on ebay those skimmers are getting pretty cheap

i would say yes put live rock in there, i know its costly but it is has so much benifiet, you could get a couple nice pieces of live and then get dry rock and let it seed in the tank, takes some time but it works great

lights........................well you obviously dont need metal halides or anything crazy like that and in a fish only tank the standard floresents are fine BUT......they will promote algae growth, the color of the fish will be "washed out" and you just won't like em, try to find a nice low end T-5 or powercompact set up you'll never regret it

what ever you spend on a decent fresh water set up i would say double it for a decent start on a salt tank,{ i have spent about 1200.00 on a 20 gallon tank in a year, no corals just a FOWLR} i say this so you have a realistic idea in your mind of what your getting into, oh yeah and maintinence maintinence maintinence

good luck !!!!!! you won't regret it as long as you know what your getting into

Boss

make up your mind!!!

7 posts