Still another CO2 question.........HELP PLEASE

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I ended up using my own recipe for the CO2, turns out the stuff that it came with the kit was bad. They will give me new packets next time I go in. Mine is working great, but have a couple questions...

1) How many bubbles per minute? I read that it is 1 every 2-15 seconds, is this right? Mine is going at around 70 bubbles per minute thru the counter. So, about 1 per second. Is this too much?

If so...........

2) Which ingredient is it that slows the process down if I have too many going? The sugar will speed it up right? Anyone know how to slow the production down? My ingredients are sugar, yeast, baking soda and water. I don't want to put a clamp on the hose. I did before and the pressure built up too much and caused a huge bubble of CO2 to explode in the tank.

Thanks!! Just want to be sure its going right. REALLY don't want to harm my fish!

adehaan86

by adehaan86

A good CO2 system will provide enough gas to supply a given amount of water to reach the idealized level of 15ppm of dissolved CO2. As a rule of thumb, each two-liter bottle will provide enough gas for up to 30 gallons of tank water, assuming you use an efficient method of mixing the gas and tank water.

that was taking from the website http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#5

i will first hand say many people will say different, too much CO2 and fish will be at the top begging for air. not enough co2 your wasting time, money, ETC .

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Ok, I have no idea what ppm means :-(

adehaan86

by adehaan86

It means parts per million, bascially you need to get a test to test the CO2 in the tank. Easier way is to test with fish if there happy your probably good.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeast is the variable. Use your measured amounts of sugar/water and yeast controls the amount of bubbles you'll see. E.g. if I use 1/4 tbsp I get a bubble about every 3-5 sec, and if I use 1/2tbsp I get 1-2 bubbles per sec..I shoot for the middle, and use the nutrafin system since it was cheap, but durable and the only thing available from my local petsmart..lol I didn't like the idea of having to make a new canister every few months when the seal wears off whatever 2 liter or ketchup bottle I had the thing hooked up to. Baking soda isn't really necessary unless your KH/ is less than 3ppm, or your water is really soft (GH), as far as I understand.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Thanks guys! I want to be able to mix up my own in the times I cannot afford to get the packets. So, since I used 3/4 tsp of yeast and was getting over a bubble a second I will try using 1/2 tsp instead. The packets are not that much, but there are times when coming up with $10 will have to wait a week or two. From what I understand these packets last 45 days, and I would rather use those.

I am taking the whole set up back and getting a new one. The yeast in that one was bad, but also the diffuser isn't making tiny bubbles, just collecting them and releasing a big one every minute or so. They will exchange it for me.

My mixture is made for a 32 oz Gatorade bottle, the medium sized bottle you can get to go at a gas station. I used that instead of a pop bottle because they are not as likely to get knocked over. The problem is, when I mixed it up in that bottle and poured it into the one that came with the kit, the kit bottle only held 3/4 of it. So I dumped it out and tried again, guessing on the amount. Tm, your bottle is about the same size right? Since its a ketchup bottle. I figure mines about 24 oz. Do you have a good recipe for a 24oz bottle? And how long does your last?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah the difference between the yeast in the nutrafin packets and the stuff you get at the grocery store is that the nutrafin yeast is known as champagne yeast which microbreweries use, and the stuff you find at the grocery store is baker's. The champagne is longer lasting and more stable, alas the baker's is much more readily available...

Is it the nutrafin system you have with the bubble ladder? After I mix the solution it takes between 24-48hrs for the bubbles to start moving up properly and getting real small as they move up. I don't know why..thats just how it works. By the time they hit the top rung they're about the size of a toothpick head.

If indeed thats what you have I'd caution you to get the ladder diffuser as sucked back and (if near the side) far to the side of your aquarium as possible. So far my tetras, shrimp, and snails have all found ways to get stuck in the thing. No casualties just a major annoyance getting them out until I finally got it positioned right.

7 posts