How long can my tank go without a Protien skimmer?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

My protein skimmer just quit last night. It is only 10 mos old (I have a SuperSkimmer 65 made by Coralife) I was wondering how long can my tank go without a skimmer. Facts below:

55 gal tank with 20 gal sump/refugium (micro algae growing in it)
100 lbs. live rock
2 firefish
2 perc. Clown
1 Sail fin Blenny
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Banded Coral Shrimp
1 Arrow Crab
20 Hermit crabs (Red & Blue leg)

I feed my tank every other day and only 1 cub of Spurlina brine shrimp along with some dry pellets for the hermit crabs and Banded coral shrimp.

jweb

by jweb

Protein skimmers aren't necessary, just nice to have. Their job is to just break down most of the gunk (fish poop, etc.) in the water, before it hits the filter pad, so it doesn't clog up your filter pad. It is like adding another degree of filtration. It is very nice to have, but not a necessity.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

A lot of people dont use one at all, so I'd say take your time replacing it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

actually the skimmer removes suspended protiens in the water column .........along with other suspended things like dust, debris and yes fish poop, but they are not "pre-filters" you have a relitively light bio load and your feeding is good, if the tank is 10 months old as well you should have a good natural bio filter going with the rock and live sand.....................skimmers are good but like Jweb and BK said not "needed" -and are more benifiecial and needed with corals {suspension feeders}
i would throw another powerhead or two in there to boost water flow around the rock and replace the skimmer at your earliest convenience

Boss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks for the help guys.

I pulled my skimmer apart and cleaned everything and it is working again. For how long I do not know but atleast if it breaksdown again I know there is no rush to replace it. Snowboss I do have coral I have white star polyops, Candy Cain (2 clusters) and some button polyops.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Then you did the right thing. The Candy cane wont tolerate high levels at all, but if you have a good solid refuge.......with a big DSB then you dont have to worry about a skimmer. my 29 with a 20 fuge has over 85lbs of sand.......did my first water change in two months today. got my water tested before I did it.......everything read out perfectly. no ammonia......no nitrate.......no nitrite....no phosphate.......calcium was 480 and ph a lovely 8.4. No complaints in my world....besides the speeding ticket I got last friday for 150... Ohh well! :)

6 posts