IM JUST STARTING

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lilcento4118

IM JUST STARTING

by lilcento4118

HELLO... I have just started on my saltwater tank i have a 20 gallon tank with 4 Damsels,blue leg hermits,and a (sand)starfish. can anyone help me out wat other fish can i put in there im going 2 take the damsels out cause i herd they were alittle agresive.i also would like 2 put some corals and anemones.
so any suggestions.

this is what i have now
*over 20pounds of LIVE ROCK.
*NANO REEF CIRCULATION PUMP
*14watt 10,000k daylight t5 lamp/14 watt actinic 03 blue t5 fluorescent lamp
*A MILLENIOM 2000 filter

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

hello and welcome to the site!! how long has your tank ben running for?

lilcento4118

by lilcento4118

hi...its been running 4 about a month now.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

damsels are very agressive. also i would not recomend anemones you dont have the proper lights. it will also be hard to keep corals . you have 1.5 watts per gallon that not realy alot. sorry . you could try a low light coral but i dont think they will grow. i think sun corals are not photosynthetic but you have got to feed them alot and in a small aquarium nutrients will more then likley be a problem.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Sun corals are beautiful ( see my pics:-) but you have to have very healthy water parameters, Anemones about the same, they can be very sensitive( low PH, high nitrate, unestabilished tank..etc..) Save some money and do some good researches before you buy anykind of corals or invertebrates. And be lucky with your tank, I think you have the right set up. A protein skimmer could be very useful.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

OMG!!!!!! what did I ever do without a skimmer!!!!!!!! Saltwater pimp sold me one and i just put it on the tank last night - -WOW just overnight and the tank looks like a different environment . . . .I thought I was getting it pretty clean until now.

So YES invest in a skimmer - I have a red sea prizm - about 100 bucks and it took off and works great on my 20 gallon long - there are far better ones out there for a lot more money and far worse ones for a little less money - -SKIM SKIM SKIM - - i know most of these guys are useing them already but WOW I'm impressed {lol can you tell?}

Saltwaterpimp rescues the snowboss ........yet again, lol

your sun corals are beautiful DH - i think i might try a couple in a few weeks I would like to add something to keep the sand clean and a couple fish - -any suggestions for this combination with sun corals?

20 gallon long tank
HOT filter
power compact lights {65watt 6700/10000K 420/460 actinic}
sand substrate
live rock
2 powerheads
oh yeah PROTEIN SKIMMER !!!!!!!! lol

Snowboss

lilcento4118

by lilcento4118

Thanks GUYS im going to buy a skimmer....
oo and is it ok to put two clown fish(NEMO) a
Blue Hippo tang and a yellow tang and a Blenny 4 my tank or is it to much...
Will they get along or is my tank to small?

eazy4647

by eazy4647

for a 20 gallon? well the tangs are going to outgrow ur tank if im not mistaken. so they might not be the right choice because they need lots of room to swim in. and the two nemos. MAKE SUREEEEEE they are a mated pair. or u will find a dead on next morning lol. so just make sure they are mated ;] and u should be fineee

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Absolutely not - -the blue hippo tang alone is to much fish for a 20 gallon tank- some blennies will be ok and yes if you add the two clowns at the same time they can be ok - -but still a risk [not a big one though - just remember clowns are in the same family as Damsels} - great ideas though, glad to see you doing your research before you end up with an unhappy fish, Snowboss

binkii

by binkii

since you guys were talking about skimmers....is a jevo one ok?? it is for a 180 gallon and i have a 55g......it was only around $60, but my dad got it from ebay brand new....we haven't got it yet, but i just wanted to know if it was ok??

IM JUST STARTING

11 posts • Page 1 of 2