another light question.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

another light question.

by eazy4647

ok so here it is. my tank cover only has space for one light fixture..so wat do i do? i bought a coraline atinic light. its blue..is it ok to have this as my only light source? or is this just for at night? or should i have a regular. white - yellow light as my only light?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Corals do need the blue light(higher Kelvin) from what I am reading, but they will also require a decent wattage which an actinic may not be able to prode. Unless its a VHO actinic. It all depends on whetheror not you decide to keep corals and which types.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Blue actinics are o.k. for fish only tanks, fishes wouldn't care too much. But I'd highly recommend at least a 50/50 light. actinic/daylight. nice fluorescent combination, but it'll only gives you about 15-20 Ws per bulb. Also if you keep live rocks they would appreciate some good daylight source for successful coralline growing. + Whenever the coralline start to growing, you'll not gonna enjoy it without the daylight, because the deep spectrum of actinic would hide those deep purple, red, pink ( light pink can be noticeable with actinics only) coralline tunes. Actinic bulbs by itselfs are great to make a dust effect ( sunrise, sunset ), and then combined with a daylight bulb you have a greatly simulated daytime effect. If you like to keep your hood on your tank, just change for a 50/50 bulb. You'll notice the different immadietly.That's only an opinion of mine. Take Care and be lucky!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you will need both daylights + actinics for corals. you could also remove the lid on your tank then you can fit 2 or 3 lights on top, if you plan on fish that are jumpers i would recomend a canopy,do they sell a 50/50 bulb for your fixture?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Eazy,
My wife bought me my first set up for Christmas and the LFS basically sold her a frsh water tank and some salt RRRRRRRRRRRR - -but I have been upgrading filters, power heads and now I'm in the process of upgrading the entire system from my 20 gallon long to a 65 gallon w/sump - but i digress - I went from a single flouresent bulb to a power compact unit with a 10K "white, a blue actinic and an LED moon light - -this one is a satilite power compact system {very reasonably priced I paid 150.00 and seems to be a pretty good entry level lighting system - - I then built a custom wood box and resessed the light fixture into it and put an access lid to feed and check water condition - it keeps that glare from the underside of the lights you get when your sitting in the recliner watching TV too,lol -i do remove it to do maintinenece - -but it is working nicely - -just an idea for your tank

NOTE: use a good hard wood and good water resistant paint - - salt water is very caustic and the wood needs to be completly sealed or it will rot in the warm, wet salt environment

dick_headers

by dick_headers

That's the same system I use on my 10G nano. Is that a Current Satellite, right?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

might be? this is 30" inches long 65 watt 10,000K white with 1 single LED in the middle and the actinic with a fan sucking air across it from an intake on the other side - - i love it

on a 20 gallon long tank

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yes ...sorry current satilite is the brand

dick_headers

by dick_headers

O.K, I see.. Yours the one with the single Sunpaq 50/50 bulb. Mine is the Satellite Dual. It has 2x40W. One of the is 6700/10000K combined and the others 460/420nm actinic. Only one moon led. You can't go wrong with these.. I think Currents are very affordable and high quality light fixtures. I hate to say that, but I think you overpaid for your system Snowboss. But the matter a fact is that you and your environmet are both like the new set up. It's like Coke.."you can't beat the feeling..":-)

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sonny,

I just went down and looked at the box - model #1014 dual current satilite power compact 6700/10000K 420nm/460nm actinic with Led moon phase light - - sounds just like yours no? and yes that was my last purchase from the LFS that sold my wife the original set up and I did pay to much but only 10-20 bucks and I didn't have to pay shipping so in my lil mind im even, lol - -but yeah the lights are great - hooked up a couple timers and the day was running - - - Snowboss {AL}

another light question.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2