Saltwater & Freshwater

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Lettec

Saltwater & Freshwater

by Lettec

Hi All,

I am a beginner at this. I remember long time ago a friend of mine had a Saltwater & Freshwater tank mixed (mostly freshwater). He did this so it was not so costly but allowing him to add all satlwater fish and no freshwater fish.

Has anyone heard of this, if so, what is this called?

jweb

by jweb

Are you saying that it was partly saltwater? If so, then that is called brackish water. It isn't good for fish that normally live in normal saltwater (sG 1.023-1.026). Brackish is like bay, or estuary water. What fish are you planning on keeping? Certain fish require certain water parameters. You base the tank water on what fish you want, not just add fish to a tank that is something other than what they require.

Lettec

by Lettec

This had to of been it.. I just remember he did have clown, blow fish and puffers, etc... I think I will research this more

Lettec

by Lettec

Ok, I just looked into it and all of the fish I see for a brackish tank and the setup is not what he had.. His almost looked like a saltwater tank.. hmm

jweb

by jweb

I advise you to just either do freshwater or saltwater. Saltwater fish are not meant to be in brackish, and vice versa. Stick with what is natural.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

salt is the least of the cost in a salt system by far ..............its just a choice niether fresh or salt is wrong

jweb

by jweb

If you buy from drs. foster and smith website, a 150 gallon mix is only 39.99. So that isn't too bad and very cheap compared to pet stores.

Saltwater & Freshwater

7 posts