Hand Blown Glass Decoration???

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

glassguy

by glassguy

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, opinions, or general feedback about hand blown fish tank decorations. I am a glass blower and have had a few people suggest I make some glass decorations because they would be very unique and easy to clean. If anyone has an opinion as to weather there would be a market for this sort of thing I would appreciate it and love to hear what ever you have to say. Any tips or suggestions for what I should take into consideration when designing the pieces would be great, such as fish like hiding in things, but people like to be able to see their fish. The possibilities are really endless. I was thinking wavy seaweed-like strips of glass across the back of a tank would look good. You can see what sort of things I am doing at glassbykyle.com For now I am just trying to get feedback to see if this is something worth perusing.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I think that there wouldnt be a huge market for it. It seems more and more people are trying to go with a more nature-like look and there isnt glass in nature.

I think that glass shells for a shellie tank would be cool, so you could actually see the fish while hiding. There may be some interest in breeding, the fish have a hiding place to breed, but you can see them and potentially their babies.

I dont know, but I'll be watching this thread to see what others think.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you could somehow blow a really cool looking CO2 diffuser.......that would sell like crazy. Maybe a spiral looking thing that would diffuse the bubbles into the column farely well. I bet a lot of planted tank guys would go for that! All the ones being made now look like crack pipes. Thats all I have.....let me sleep on that question.......maybe more ideas tomorrow?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Okay.....I thought about it......I got nothing else. Got me buddy. But I do know that diffuser would probably sell. A lot of planted tank people use water bottles and stuff........blown glass would be a LOT prettier and a lot better to display!

jweb

by jweb

diffuser would sell, they are hard to come by. I think there is only 1 other glass diffuser on the market. you could also make wierd rock-like structures. Maybe add sand to the glass to add a dirty look and it will also make it gritty.

glassguy

by glassguy

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I will do some more research and start working on prototypes in a month or so. I will also look into the diffuser. If anyone else has any other opinions positive or negative I would love to hear them. I will upload images of the prototypes when they are done if any one is interested.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'd take a look at some of the diffusers on the market, there are a few. The best advantage you could create in marketing your own is selling at a lower or equal price. Some of your already established possible competitors such as ''ADA'' put a lot of research into their product. When people go out and and spend a good deal of money on such a small piece of glass they do it because the design is sound and gets the most efficiency out of its purpose (ie, the shape acts to dissolve as much CO2 into the water column as possible). The biggest advantage to a glass diffuser is how inconspicuous it is. People don't generally like ''equipment'' to be seen. In most cases it would be all but engulfed by plants anyway, but..

Here's some common ones:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=9915
http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_product/22_index.html

As far as like artificial looking plants and seaweed or whatnot, I'm sure you could create a market somewhere keeping in mind that anything really fragile may not last long. The tank glass/water distorts vision so much I find myself bumping things all the time inside the aquarium. Bumping a thin glass piece of ''seaweed'' into my tank wall would probably not bode well. O.o

Best wishes in whatever you come up with.

cwinson85

by cwinson85

sounds like an awsome idea. cant wait to see some pix. i know i would put a glass piece in my tank. for sure!

8 posts