LPS / SPS

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gonzaimaki7563

LPS / SPS

by gonzaimaki7563

Please educate me what is LPS and SPS? I only understand very little about them.
Thanks a lot..

fihsboy

by fihsboy

LPS= Large Polyp Stony
SPS=Small Polyp Stony

SPS are your acroporas montiporas and birdsnests.
LPS would be bubble coral Plate coral Open brain coral etc

Softies would be anything that doesnt have a skelton attacheched. Soft corals have no skeletal structure. SPS and LPS have a skeleton. LPS is harder to frag IMO than anything. Sps is fairly easy and so are softies. SPS are very hard to take care of, they have little flesh and thats the actual coral. Lps are hard to keep but not as hard as sps and softies.........well they arent too hard to keep. Unless you have a carnation coral or something along those lines.......then good luck! keep asking questions!

GONZAIMAKI

by GONZAIMAKI

thanks a lot fishboy! You really live by the name, i appreciate some added info.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

''Softies would be anything that doesnt have a skelton attacheched. Soft corals have no skeletal structure'' Not true soft corals have sclerites ,Its hollow calcium carbonate , Thats what gives soft corals there shape..Here is what they look like.
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr13 ... ope003.jpg

And imo nothing is harder then another to keep, its based on experince, and the will to learn..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol............if you think fishboy has lived up to his name, just read up on the saltwater pimp ..............................they dont call him th pimp for nothing, lmao

now if you need to talk about snow .............well im yer guy ..hehehehe

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well....they dont have the hard exoskelton like the lps sps do. they can flex what they do have. So its not a hard calcium skeleton. pimp knows all the details, im just an overview guy. I want to understand why everything works and how....but with school and work im running outta time to study my tank like I would like. Pretty soon though I will be buying books galore and hopefully I can learn everything you guys are. BTW Happy Valentines Day! Im babysitting with my GF tonight....200 bucks to sit and watch the ladys kids. Sounds nice to me!

LPS / SPS

6 posts