Got new corals, need help

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok so i wtn to my lfs yesterday... got me 12 turbos and a sand sifting star, and decided while i was there to get my stuff for calcium ( reef calcium, reef complete from seachem and the test kit from api) and the lady that always checks me out decides that i shop there enough that she would throw in some frags for free so we went back there... i ended up comming back with some frags about 2 in ea , one being a green/ red zoo, a star polyp and a clove polyp, a xenia was attached to a shell so the threw that in too and so now i have these corals and im not quite sure what to feed or if theyre all , whats the word, photosynthetic? They all seem to be doing fine, parameters are ph 8.3, sg of 1.025, temp 76.5, nitrites 0, nitrates were at 20 which isnt the best and i forgot what my ammonia lvls were, they were low tho. Also has anyone used that purple up by i think carib sea?? i didnt buy it i was jw... bout time they cut me a deal at my lfs...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

well dont worry about feeding corals,They will feed out of the water..kiss the sand star goodbye..they need alot of food in a sandbed, your tank is way to new for that type of star..take it back if you can.Also as long as you keep calcium/alkilinity/magnessium right , there is no need for purple up..

How often do you do waterchanges ? and clean skimmer and filters ?

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well that certainly adds to the day..
4-5 gal week waterchanges... clean skimmer and filter once monthly.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

you need to clean the filter minnimum of once a week same with skimmer,(NECK and CUP) you have a canister filter right ?...sorry wasent trying to screw your day up..

newbie916

by newbie916

I wouldn't worry about feeding your corals. However, I use Purple Up and I really like it. However, I do use several Kent products, such as, Coral Vite, Calcium, Magnesium, Essential elements, and there PH buffer in addition. I've noticed that my corals are propogating and my rocks are as purple as you can get them. I've been using Purple Up for about a year now. Some guys think it's a waste, but I really like it.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I have had 2 sand stars in my tank for.....I dont know almost 5 months. and they are doing good. Pop up every night and scurry the sand.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well that makes me feel a lil better, i emailed live aquaria about what i could supplemment his food with... i would have to say that within 24 hours there was a noticeable difference in my sand :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

fihsboy

by fihsboy

So who is Ron Shimek? I mean it sounds like hes got a pretty good grasp....but who is he?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

13 posts • Page 1 of 2